Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot complete action while adding family member

I have upgraded my iPhone 5S to IOS 8.1 and wanted to add all my family members to the Family Share. I am having a problem while adding my daughters icloud.com mail address. Each I enter her e-mail address to add family member, I will get the following message, "Cannot Complete Action - This action cannot be completed at this time."

I have been trying for weeks to do it but failed each time.

I have no problems adding my wife's gmail address and created an icloud ID for my son.

Is there anyone who faced this problem as well?

Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Oct 31, 2014 9:32 AM

19 replies

Jan 27, 2018 11:57 AM in response to DroolMAN!

I was having same problem and this fixed it. I have everyone with a different Apple ID for their device but signed into the same Apple ID for iTunes & App Store. Before going in and accepting the invitation make sure you’ve signed out of iTunes & App Store. Make sure there’s no Apple ID associated with it. Now go in and accept the invitation and it should work. Once that device is on board with family sharing, you can go back to iTunes & App Store and sign in with a different Apple ID if you want. That worked for me. Good luck.

Jan 31, 2018 11:45 PM in response to DroolMAN!

This issue occurs when the parent apple ID is not completely setup with a valid credit card payment option. After a valid payment option is added (best done through iTunes) and verified, you should be able to add a child into your account. On an iPhone, it's found in Settings > iTunes > Payment & Shipping. Hopefully this will steer people in the right direction.

May 23, 2015 2:53 PM in response to DroolMAN!

I was having the same issue. The issue ended up, odd as this may sound, my Apple ID (the Family Organizer) was locked for some reason. Still not sure if there was a security measure in place by Apple that caused my Apple ID to get locked, all my password prompts were entered correctly. I have 2 step authentication enabled, so your steps may be different, but to fix it and add my son to Family Sharing I had to:

1. Visit https://iforgot.apple.com/
  2. Enter my Apple ID (Family Organizer)
  3. Enter my Recovery Key (giving during 2 step authentication setup). May not be necessary if 2 step is not setup.
  4. Choose to unlock and keep my password.

After that, I went ahead and tried to add my son again to Family Sharing, and it worked.

Nov 20, 2015 5:09 PM in response to Gam9bit

I fixed it by myself. I logged in to my icloudpreferences on my mac and logged in with my password. I get a instantly pushnotification from my bank. The dept was drafted from itunes. And then it works with the familysharing. I get instantly 2 mails from apple. One for the familysharing and one for the Apple Music Family account. I think the Dept was the problem (I am not the Family Organizer). Now it works.

Nov 21, 2015 9:22 PM in response to DroolMAN!

I hope this helps others who have same issue.

Check to make sure the person you are trying to Add to Family Sharing has Two Factor Authentication turned off.

Go here: https://idmsa.apple.com/authenticate and make sure the iTunes account of the person you are trying to share with does not use Two Factor Authentication.

This is the only thing that worked for us.

Good luck!

Cannot complete action while adding family member

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.