Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove Sophos Anti Virus from my iMac

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 31, 2014 9:30 AM

6 replies

Oct 31, 2014 2:18 PM in response to brucefromtaunton

Hi,

Some Third Party apps will have a Uninstaller normally listed in the Preferences (it does mean launching the app).

If you kept the original .dmg that the app was installed with this sometime comes with an Unintstaller

Sometimes it is an option during the Installer app part of the Install.

What does their web site say ?

If it is part of the .dmg and you did not keep it you may have to Download the latest version and work from there.

User uploaded file

9:18 pm Friday; October 31, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Nov 1, 2014 4:59 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph.

I don't have the original .dmg . I upgraded to Yosemite on my iMac and restored everything, system became very slow on start up and starting app's.

Had a similar problem on my Mac Book Air which turned out to be a "Bing malware" which had hijacked my Mozilla Firefox search engine, in the end I had to erase the SSD and start from scratch, that sorted out the MB Air.

However on the iMac problem, having done a fair amount of research and checked Apple support communities I might have problems getting rid of Sophos.

I will do a bit more research and possibly download latest version and then attempt uninstall, if I still get errors in the start up log when I check it out in "Terminal" I will just format the hard drive, reinstall OS X and restore everything.

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Bruce.

Nov 1, 2014 1:39 PM in response to brucefromtaunton

Hi,

I have heard of the Bing issue about becoming an overzealous Search engine when you don't want it to be.

I must admit to not knowing all the ins and outs on that one.

I see WZZZ has provided a link. (Thanks WZZZ)

I have version 7.3.1 running on a old Mirrored Door G4/1Ghz Dual Processor Tower. (I tend to have it On but not doing anything except the odd iChat test)

I am not sure how I got it now and it seems I don't have the User and Password details to even update the Definitions.

Checking the "retirement" section on that site WZZZ supplied shows that Support for OS X 10.4.x has stopped April 2014 (seems I will have to also remove and replace)

Hope the Removal Tool link is helpful.

User uploaded file

8:39 pm Saturday; November 1, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.