Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my apps stay closed?

I'm using an iPhone 4s, running iOS 7.1.2. I'm having a bizarre issue where my phone will occasionally bog down, so I shut down all the apps in the background & reboot. When the phone comes back up, all the apps I closed are once again open in the background! What's the story here?

If it matters, I'm having to reboot at least once every 1-2 days.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Oct 31, 2014 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2014 11:20 AM

The vast majority of apps don't "run in the background" - generally only audio streaming and navigation apps. The icons you see in the recently opened list (seen by double clicking the home button) aren't actually running or consuming phone resources. It's likely that the same problem that's "bogging down" the phone is causing them to reappear after restarting.

Assuming your phone isn't hacked/jailbroken, try the following steps as needed:

1. Reset phone (no data loss): press both the home and power buttons for at least 10 seconds, releasing when the Apple logo appears

2. Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

3. Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Data and Settings (do not restore a backup)

4. Restore iOS using iTunes, also restoring a backup (will also update to iOS 8.1)

5. Restore iOS using iTunes to factory settings (as new phone, without restoring a backup)

iOS: Understanding multitasking

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2014 11:20 AM in response to TimeLord75

The vast majority of apps don't "run in the background" - generally only audio streaming and navigation apps. The icons you see in the recently opened list (seen by double clicking the home button) aren't actually running or consuming phone resources. It's likely that the same problem that's "bogging down" the phone is causing them to reappear after restarting.

Assuming your phone isn't hacked/jailbroken, try the following steps as needed:

1. Reset phone (no data loss): press both the home and power buttons for at least 10 seconds, releasing when the Apple logo appears

2. Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

3. Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Data and Settings (do not restore a backup)

4. Restore iOS using iTunes, also restoring a backup (will also update to iOS 8.1)

5. Restore iOS using iTunes to factory settings (as new phone, without restoring a backup)

iOS: Understanding multitasking

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings

Why won't my apps stay closed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.