Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.0.1 keeps crashing

I updated from iTunes 11.4 to 12.0.1 and couldn't get the new version to run for more than a few minutes without crashing, that is if it would start up completely without crashing.

I had to go back to iTunes 11.4. It seems to be a little bit more stable. I will wait for 12.1 I guess before I try updating again.

Posted on Oct 31, 2014 1:30 PM

13 replies

Oct 31, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Thom_D

Should anyone else have the same issue try working through:

TS1717: iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Nov 12, 2014 7:26 AM in response to Thom_D

I had the same problem. It seems to be network dependent though since iTunes 12.0.1 worked fine when I was at home, but constantly crashed (Data Execution Protection) when I was at work. My workplace uses a proxy firewall which might be messing with the results iTunes Store is returning to iTunes (client). The fact that this results in a crash though indicates that the client isn't checking for valid results from the network before trying to execute it. That's a security flaw.

iTunes 11.4 works fine.

Nov 18, 2014 8:16 PM in response to Thom_D

I have this problem also. I upgraded to 12.0.1 tonight. I also upgraded my iphone 5 to the latest software. I Tried to synch my iphone 5 and it is 100% unsuccessful. As soon as it begins to transfer itunes crashes. It restored the iphone fine, but synching music, apps, etc causes a crash. I uninstalled and re installed itunes, to no avail. This is with windows 7 x32. Everything worked fine prior to the upgrade.

Nov 21, 2014 8:52 AM in response to Thom_D

my situation is similar to ^ Benzene's. i upgraded my itunes to the 12.0.1 version.

windows 7, 64 bit operating system.

i use these devices to sync with it: iphone 4s and ipod touch.

all devices and laptop have the most current updates of system and software.

i am able to use itunes normally and sync my iphone. the problem is with the ipod touch.

the ipod touch was acting strange so i restored it with itunes. after the restore, when the ipod touch reached the point of prompting to load a back up, the itunes crashed.

the situation currently is that every time i plug my ipod touch into my laptop, itunes crashes and closes. i am unable to use my ipod touch as a result.

i have troubleshooted with things such as virus scans and internet security programs, etc...as outlined in apple support. but i am guessing this is a bug with the new itunes version! and i do not know how to downgrade to earlier versions. so sadly i am unable to use my ipod touch, which is my source of music on my car stereo. 😟

Would love to know of any relevant suggestions specific to this version of itunes and for windows 7 users. thanks!

Dec 11, 2014 6:13 PM in response to dwan

I'm still having the same issue. If y'all have it fixed with those solutions then my issue is different. i keep my apps updated on a daily basis...so that's not the solution. i also do not use a network. i still cannot use my ipod touch at all due to it being connected forces the itunes to crash and close. 😢

May 4, 2015 10:36 AM in response to AStephan72

@AStephan72 - Did you log out of the iTunes store on your phone or ipad and back in? I can't get iTunes to run long enough to log in or out on my computer. I am sure it has to do with the company firewall / proxy system at this point but if I can log out and in on my iPhone that might help. I will give it a try and see what happens.

Oct 26, 2015 11:38 PM in response to HutcHJC

Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
Application Name:iTunes.exe
Application Version:12.3.1.23
Application Timestamp:5620c5eb
Fault Module Name:CoreAudioToolbox.dll
Fault Module Version:7.10.5.0
Fault Module Timestamp:55e77d9f
Exception Code:c000001d
Exception Offset:00006c2a
OS Version:6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID:1033
Additional Information 1:0a9e
Additional Information 2:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3:0a9e
Additional Information 4:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

idk what's wrong with my itunes i cant seem to open it even if i use the safe mode im stressing out

Oct 27, 2015 5:12 AM in response to mcd.cq

This type of error may be fixed by deleting the offending dll, then repairing the component it is part of from the programs and features control panel. CoreAudioToolbox.dll is part of Apple Application Support and can normally be found in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support or

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

If you've tried the above without success then see the method in Install missing components. What component fails to install, and what error message does it give? See this post for steps to produce detailed logs of the installation which may reveal why iTunes won't install. Look for words like failed or error.

tt2

iTunes 12.0.1 keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.