Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Root password not being saved

When I enable the root user it asks me for the password, then password verification. Then when I leave terminal I disable the root user. Next time I enable it, it again asks for the password and to verify it, but I can enter ANY password and get into SU in terminal. So anyone that can get to enable the root user and set a password. This is dumb or I am not understanding something here. The computer should remember the last password and use that password and not allow just ANY password to give super user access???

Rachael

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Oct 31, 2014 10:43 PM

2 replies

Nov 1, 2014 12:43 PM in response to Eric Root

I would be uncomfortable leaving the root user enabled. Frankly speaking the root password should be saved once I set it then disable the root user, saving that password for the next time I enable the root user it. Why is there even an option to change the password if it is not saved. Stupidity. Even setting the password in terminal with the passwd command will not save it. Stupidity. This is not how it worked in Snow Leopard. You set a password and it stuck. What is the point of having a password for root, it anyone can enter anything to reach it. Stupidity

But thanks for the suggestion

Rachael

Root password not being saved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.