Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a new i-Mac and am trying to sync my i-Pod Classic.

I bought a new i-Mac and am trying to sync my i-Pod Classic. I transferred the music from my old Mac Pro to the library on the new computer. Some of the songs synced, but then I am told that "attempting to copy to the disk . . . you do not have enough access privileges for this operation" I cannot find any settings to fix this.

<edited by host>

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 7:58 AM

10 replies

Nov 3, 2014 3:59 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks, but I did that 3 times and it still would not sync. One problem may have been that my user name on the new computer was not identical to the old computer. I finally concluded that I would be better off migrating my data by hand, so i erases the disk, reinstalled the OS and imported the songs by attaching my old hard disk to a USB port. Syncs fine now, although the library remains a bit confused.

Nov 3, 2014 4:24 PM in response to skaus

iPods do not use your computer's user account. Instead, if you use automatic syncing, it is associated with an iTunes library. If a new computer has a different iTunes library, you will not be able to use automatic syncing with the new iTunes library until you change the association (replace the iPod's existing content with content from the new iTunes library). Doing a Restore from the new iTunes library should have changed the association (by erasing the iPod), however... so I don't know why it did not work after three attempts.

In the future, you should move your entire iTunes library from the old computer to the new computer. The process is described in this document

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer - Apple Support

in the section called "External drive." It is very detailed, but this is what you are doing. On the old computer, consolidate all of your iTunes data in the iTunes folder, which is located in the user home folder's Music folder. If you were using standard settings in iTunes, the iTunes folder may already include all iTunes data. The iTunes folder includes the iTunes library database file (which is what the iPod recognizes as its current "iTunes library") and the iTunes Media folder with all the iTunes media files. Copy that entire iTunes folder to an external drive. On the new Mac, there is an existing iTunes folder. When iTunes is NOT running, replace that existing iTunes folder with your old iTunes folder on the external drive. The next time iTunes runs, iTunes uses your old iTunes folder and everything looks like it did before. And your iPod recognizes the iTunes library on the new Mac as the same library.

Syncs fine now, although the library remains a bit confused.

If your "old hard disk" still has your complete iTunes folder from the previous computer, you could follow the procedure to transfer the entire iTunes folder to the new Mac (not just the song files). You would then have your old iTunes library, including supporting data such as playlists, ratings, and play count, on the new Mac.

Nov 3, 2014 4:46 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I will try emptying the iTunes Library and copying the entire file. Thanks for the instructions. I thought I was being clever using the iTunes import command!

I had my old Mac Pro for 7 years, so I generally think I want to start clean in my new i-Mac, import what I need, mainly music movies and pictures, and save the old hard disks in case I forget something. A lot of flotsam and jetsam accumulates on a computer capable of housing 4 hard disks!

Thanks again.

Nov 3, 2014 4:54 PM in response to skaus

In that case, you may want to just continue from where you are now, starting with a new iTunes library on the new iMac. And add only the content you want from the old iTunes library to the new one. If your old Mac Pro is still functioning, you could run iTunes on it and share its iTunes library. If its on the same local network as your iMac, you can then transfer media items (the ones you want) over the network. This method is described in that same document, in the section called "Home Sharing."

I bought a new i-Mac and am trying to sync my i-Pod Classic.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.