Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install third-party SSD as boot disk in MacPro 5,1

I had so much trouble with this that I thought I'd post a recipe that others could follow.

The first thing you should know is that it's not possible to get a non-Apple SSD recognized in a sled slot of a MacPro 5,1. It just doesn't see them at all, even if (as some suggested) previously partitioned as a GUID partition (which works in a MacBook Pro, but not a MacPro 5,1). This is true even with the most up-to-date EFI firmware. You're going to have to use a PCIe adapter card.

The next thing you should know is that not all PCIe SATA3 SSD adapter cards are bootable on a MacPro 5,1. For instance, even though the Sonnet Tempo SSD is advertised as working for a boot drive in a Mac Pro, it actually works in any Mac Pro *except* the 5,1. In a 5,1 drives on the card do not work as boot drives, either with option boot or if you select it as the startup drive after booting from something else. Also, EFI boot is extended by about a minute -- not the end of the world, but an annoyance. The Tempo card does work well for add-on drives, its very fast. I am pretty sure the Tempo Pro variant of the card also does not work, as the Sonnet support guys told me that they have to use use rEFIt for booting 5,1 MacPros in their lab. I imagine if the Pro worked they would have pointed me at that instead. (Note that rEFIt has been superseded by rEFInd, http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/. I didn't try using rEFIt or rEFInd because I found a better way, but if you want to dual-boot to Linux those utilities are apparently Da Bomb.)

An Apricorn Velocity x2 Duo card *will* boot, and does not have a long EFI boot delay. That card is a little more expensive than the Tempo SSD (but not the Tempo Pro SSD) but it works properly. It's worth the extra money, especially since it's the only card I could find that explicitly claimed to work as a boot drive on a 5,1 MacPro. And it does.

One caveat: With the Tempo SSD the SSD drives were invisible until repartitioned in GUID format, which also happens if you try to use a third-party SSD inside a Macbook Pro. I found that I could repartition one drive, a Crucial MX500 960GB, using a run-of-the-mill USB SATA2 adapter. Unfortunately this solution did not work with a Samsung Evo 1TB drive, I had to use an external USB3 enclosure. Moreover, the enclosure supported both FireWire and USB3 but FireWire did not work. This FireWire issue might be due to the super-cheap enclosure I was using, so YMMV, but keep in mind that it's possible that you'll need either a USB3 expansion card in the MacPro, or a different Mac, to perform the initial repartition to GUID format.

It's possible that SSDs would be visible on the Velocity card even before repartitioning, I don't know as both of my drives had been repartitioned prior to trying the Velocity. So, it might work ... but you might need to partition externally.

I don't know if pre-partitioning is necessary with the Velocity card, as I only ever tried pre-partitioned drives with it. If you try the Velocity and the drive isn't seen, that's the problem and you'll have to use an external SATA adapter of some sort to repartition before installing on the Velocity card.

After partitioning the drive and installing on the Velocity card, it worked fine. Yosemite installed properly and with reboot it blazed.

Next up, TRIM support. For some reason known only to Apple, the Apple AHCI driver refuses to enable TRIM support for anything other than Apple drives. It's possible that there are or were bugs in some of the early SSDs and Apple is just playing it safe, although I would have preferred to have the option to enable TRIM or not if that's the case. Unfortunately there is no such option, you have to use a substitute AHCI driver.

Unfortunately if you're using Yosemite you cannot use a substitute driver without disabling kext extensions, because Apple will not sign anyone else's driver (at least not at the time of this writing). That's unfortunate, I would prefer to have signed extensions if I could, but realistically speaking you're no worse off in terms of security than you were with Mavericks so it's not the end of the world. With a little luck Apple will either start supporting TRIM on third-party drives or starts signing third-party drivers sometime in the future.

So: Before you can start TRIMming drives, you first need to run this command, or something like it:

sudo nvram boot-args=“kext-dev-mode=1”

I rather like seeing the boot process, rather than just the Apple logo, so I use this:

sudo nvram boot-args=“-v kext-dev-mode=1”

I tried both Trim Enabler (http://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/) and Chameleon SSD Optimizer (http://chameleon.alessandroboschini.com/). As of this writing the Chameleon driver is more up-to-date, and comes with some additional utilities that are pretty nice. Take your pick, though, both worked fine in my experiments.

With a TRIM-enabled AHCI driver, kext signing disabled, a Velocity card, and your favorite SSD you are in business.

The only weird thing after all of this is that non-boot SSDs on the Velocity card (or on the Tempo) are ejectable. As far as I can determine there’s no way to mark them as non-ejectable. That’s a minor annoyance compared to the performance you get out of the SSD, though.

Because, with this stuff in there, yowza is the MacPro 5,1 a fast machine. You Will Like It. Enjoy!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 10:16 AM

12 replies

Nov 1, 2014 12:03 PM in response to jim frost

Then you should read these.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1804704&highlight=sonnet+tempo+pro

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1721573&highlight=sonnet+tempo+pro

This was strange but has to do with how startup disk and nvram interact

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1795765

I think your problems were solvable and not that the Sonnet card and 5,1 is not bootable, in fact the 5,1 is easier, there are more supported cards.

I have the 1,1 where the Sonnet Pro is recommended but for data only and are not bootable because of the 32-bit EFI firmware. NOT the 4,1 and 5,1. The 2008's are problem child and have a mix of PCIe 1.1 slots, first implementation of EFI64 that also has problems. Also the 4,1 has two PCIe 2.x slots 3 and 4 that share a controller but that simply limits bandwidth.

I would have left the TRIM support and NVRAM changes in Yosemite to a separate thread if you wanted to focus on the Sonnet Tempo Pro support in Mac Pro 2010-12 5,1s.

Also the make of SSD can vary and they also have their own firmware as do bootable controllers along with the EFI of the Mac, all of which have to work together. Meaning it might be that Samsung 840 va 840 EVO vs 840 Pro will all be slightly different but my experience is Samsungs work well (as do others like Crucial with the proper firmware - and there was/is an issue with the firmware of the Samsung 840 but not with booting).

The PCIe card gets seen and treated as external and therefore 'eject' but of course you can't when it is the system boot drive.

One thing I found last week and meant to mention: After installing or changing PCIe cards, RESET SMC made all the difference in the world with the long boot delay. Some PCIe cards will add a few seconds, system has to search the device tree which now shows another controller with multiple devices - and sometimes NVRAM and SMC are what I will call "dirty" and need to be rebuilt and reset.

Nov 1, 2014 3:11 PM in response to jim frost

jim frost wrote:

I had so much trouble with this that I thought I'd post a recipe that others could follow.

The first thing you should know is that it's not possible to get a non-Apple SSD recognized in a sled slot of a MacPro 5,1. It just doesn't see them at all, even if (as some suggested) previously partitioned as a GUID partition (which works in a MacBook Pro, but not a MacPro 5,1). This is true even with the most up-to-date EFI firmware. You're going to have to use a PCIe adapter card...

...Because, with this stuff in there, yowza is the MacPro 5,1 a fast machine. You Will Like It. Enjoy!

While the rest of your post will surely be of interest to anyone wanting to use a PCIe card to get past the 3GB/sec link speed on the MacPro 5,1 internal SATA bus, the comment about a non-Apple SSD not being "recognized in a sled slot of a MacPro 5,1" is simply not true, since I'm booting from a Crucial 960GB M500 in Bay 1 of a Mac Pro 5,1 right now. There's also an OWC Mercury Electra 3G MAX SSD in Bay 2 which works just fine when I need it. I did find that this sled makes installing an SSD easier than having to fool with an adapter.

TRIM is also not an issue and easily turned on with Trim Enabler, as long as you're not using Yosemite, and it's on now with the Crucial (the OWC is actually a RAID configuration which doesn't support TRIM).

I agree that the Mac Pro 5,1 is a fast machine, and an SSD makes it a lot faster still.😉

Nov 1, 2014 4:45 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Well, it's not like I didn't TRY using the sled, right? That was my *first* attempt. (And second, third, and I think sixth.) It not only didn't work with the Crucial MX500, it didn't work with a Samsung Evo. Neither was recognized, either before or after repartitioning in GUID format. They weren't recognized with option-boot, they weren't recognized in the disk utility, they weren't recognized by the Yosemite installer. I tried different sled slots, too, 0 and 3, no difference. Heck, even the Crucial firmware update utility didn't recognize the drive, I had to do its firmware update (from u3 to u5) using a Windows box.

After GUID partitioning, with either of the drives in the Tempo SSD adapter, the drives were recognized but they wouldn't boot, no way no how. And the Sonnet support guys confirmed that it just doesn't boot on the 5,1.

So anyway, I don't know what was different for your system versus mine, but it didn't work for me, and I know I'm not alone because I spent kind of a lot of time reading discussions on the topic after the first several things I tried failed. I even spoke with Crucial tech support who told me they don't support the drive on the MacPros ("those are considered professional systems, and that's a consumer drive" -- never mind that the MacBook "Pro"s are supported). I've heard of others who got an SSD working (well, yours is the first one > 500GB, but still) but no luck at all for me in the sled.

Heck, I specifically bought the Evo after failing with the MX500 because I knew of two people who had them working in a 5,1. Yet it didn't work for me.

I kind of wondered, while I was trying to get this stuff to work, if the difference might be the drive firmware; maybe the 5,1 firmware didn't properly negotiate the drive down to SATA2 with current versions of drive firmware, while perhaps it worked in older versions. Alas, it seems unlikely that both the Crucial MX500 and Samsung Evo would have the same negotiation problem.

Or the difference might be in 5,1 configuration; mine is dual-CPU, eight core. At least one of the people who had it working was using a single-CPU system.

In any case, I'm not making it up. It really did not work for me, and I tried a **** of a lot of different things to get it to work, and the only one that did the job was that particular expansion card.

Nov 1, 2014 5:11 PM in response to jim frost

jim frost wrote:

...In any case, I'm not making it up. It really did not work for me, and I tried a **** of a lot of different things to get it to work, and the only one that did the job was that particular expansion card.

I don't doubt that it didn't work for you, considering what you went through to achieve a working alternative. But that's different from "it's not possible to get a non-Apple SSD recognized in a sled slot of a MacPro 5,1" so I wanted to provide a success story. The Crucial started out with MU03 firmware and I upgraded it without difficulty to MU05 with the SSD in place and the OS already installed without difficulty.

For the record, I've got the 2010 6 core 3.33 GHz Mac Pro. It's possible the dual CPU model is the problem, though it's beyond me to understand why.

Nov 1, 2014 5:38 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Fair enough, I should have hedged my words and said "if you installed the drive and the 5,1 Mac Pro can't see it, here's how you fix it." :-)

I spent more than a week trying different things before I got a completely working system, and if I can help even one person avoid that pain and guesswork (and cost, I spent > $1000 on different things trying to get this to work) then I've done my job.

I would try GUID repartitioning using an external enclosure first, maybe that will work. Certainly it helped visibility for me using the Tempo card. And if that doesn't work, get a Velocity and be happy.

I really wish I could identify what it is that makes it work or not work in different systems, I hate not completely understanding the problem. Like you, I can't imagine why single- versus dual-CPUs might matter, although now it's two for two of the systems that I know worked that were single-CPU. I'm guessing you also have the most up-to-date 5,1 EFI firmware, and if you were using the u3 firmware on the MX500 then that's the same too.

It might be none of the above; Apple sometimes slips small hardware changes in the middle of production runs. Maybe earlier or later models of 5,1 work (mine was purchased in April 2011).

On the plus side, with all my fiddling with this I ended up buying two 1TB drives (hence the high cost) when I had originally planned to buy one now (for system and applications) and one later (for Aperture/Lightroom work disk). After running Aperture on an SSD I will never, ever go back to spinny disk.

Just in time for them to abandon Aperture, though. Bummer that. Lightroom always worked well on modest hardware, so the SSD is probably not going to be as big a win, but I really hate its more modal UI (why can't I sort and adjust without flipping a major mode back and forth?) so I'm going to grumble about it no matter what.

Nov 1, 2014 5:45 PM in response to jim frost

I do not mean to insult you.

All of your symptoms, especially "did not show up in Disk Utility" are the same ones you would have if the connectors did not mate.

The first SSD I ever bought came with two cute little U-shaped rails. They were just the right size to take up the difference in width, but there was no way to use them AND maintain the left-side alignment required for the connectors to mate. Many swears were uttered. I had to improvise.

Nov 1, 2014 5:57 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Even with a proper adapter it's easy to get it wrong; many adapters have mounts for two drives, and only the right orientation in the right position will work with the Apple sled. In my case I verified it by comparing connector position with one of the other drives I pulled, and eyeballed that it did in fact slide into the contacts.

Believe me, I was so flabbergasted that I couldn't get it to recognize the drive that I was checking *everything*. Alas, it wasn't so simple as that.

Nov 28, 2014 2:46 PM in response to jim frost

I didn't read the entire thread, just read the start.... It sound like you went to WAY too much trouble. I'm a Mac Expert..... and work in Film/TV and Web/Moblie...

I had no problem at all in installing a Crucial SSD into the second Optical SATA connector in my MacPro (MacPro5,1). Not PCIe or any card needed.

The Crucial SSD cost around $200 and is a 512GB drive... from B&H

Model number: Crucial_CT512MX100SSD1

I just opened my MacPro up, installed it into the second unused optical drive slot in my MacPro, boot up, formatted using the Apple Disk Utility as HF+, then did a clone using Carbon Copy Cloner to it, which has my Apps on it (around 350GB), which was Snow Leopard, then upgraded to Yosemite. It's all great!!!

NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER!

I now have 5 SATA drives in my MacPro (4 Hard Drive, 1 SSD) and 1 SuperDrive/DVD/Optical drive.

I also formatted my Hard Drive in slot 4 as FAT32, then installed and formatted as NTFS, or whatever.... with Windows 7 running on the MacPro. So now I Option boot to select how I want my system to boot, as Mavericks off the SSD drive, or Windows 7 off my hard drive (I did have Windows 8, but software I need to use on the Windows machine, won't work on Windows 8, so I reinstalled Windows 7, but it can run Windows 7, or 8.1!!!!).

Hope this answers some questions!

Cheers and Ciao'!

JOHNAVATAR.com

Nov 29, 2014 4:38 AM in response to jim frost

I always point out one of the two versions of the Icy Dock for different Mac Pro models (pre-2009, and 2009+) - not only are the drive sleds different lengths but when using an adapter those must also to be the right size and alignment.

It is plug and play.

Installing to a PCIe card does not usually work for installing a system, so people use one of two methods, to clone onto 'may work', or physically just take the SSD AFTER the OS was cloned to or installed onto while on the SATA II bus, and then physically move it to the Tempo. Presto, it works.

Look at a real food cookbook, that is what "cookbooks" should look like. Like "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" neat little steps, photos and how-to , refined over the years easy for anyone to follow.

We use to have a drawer full of string, and every once in awhile someone had to untangle all the string.

How to install third-party SSD as boot disk in MacPro 5,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.