Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 can't send SMS (iOS 8.1)

OK, so here are the details.

I have had this iPhone 6 for a couple of days, and I noticed that most of the time I am unable to send SMS, to anyone.

In Messages, iMessage is disabled and the option to send as SMS is enabled. I haven't even logged in with my Apple ID during setup or after, so there should be no conflicts with my account info. Cellular signal is good also, at least three bars.

Right after restarting the phone, it works, but give it a couple of minutes and it just stops working. I'm noticing that I can't even connect to the Internet, even though it shows 4G in the status bar, and cellular data is enabled with plenty of traffic to spare (a couple of gigs).

I just phoned my carrier and they say there's nothing wrong with my SIM on their end.

If I do something that triggers a connection of some sort, like looking at the call forwarding status, everything springs back to life magically, for a few minutes.

Nothing of this makes sense to me. Could it be a faulty phone, could it be a faulty SIM?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 11:20 AM

First, go to settings -> messages ( tap off and then on ) on the iMessage options. Afterwards go back to settings -> general, and scroll down to the bottom and click on reset. Once under the reset category click on reset network settings (this will not erase anything off your phone)

After that is done, see if you can send messages now. On top of that, resetting network settings should fix the wifi issues as well.

On more thing , I also want you to go back to settings -> general -> background app refresh.

And tap on the background app refresh , to cut off apps that is running in the background. It is not necessary especially if you have a lot of apps running in the background. As a result, it causes major problems with the IOS.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2014 11:20 AM in response to TheTripleX

First, go to settings -> messages ( tap off and then on ) on the iMessage options. Afterwards go back to settings -> general, and scroll down to the bottom and click on reset. Once under the reset category click on reset network settings (this will not erase anything off your phone)

After that is done, see if you can send messages now. On top of that, resetting network settings should fix the wifi issues as well.

On more thing , I also want you to go back to settings -> general -> background app refresh.

And tap on the background app refresh , to cut off apps that is running in the background. It is not necessary especially if you have a lot of apps running in the background. As a result, it causes major problems with the IOS.

Nov 2, 2014 3:28 AM in response to TheTripleX

I found a temporary fix.

If I disable 4G in cellular settings everything is working fine. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever though, because my contract gives me 4G access and with other 4G-enabled phones there are no issues, so it should work fine.

I guess this makes it an iOS 8.1-only problem? With 4G disabled, everything is OK.

I should mention that iOS 8.1/iPhone 6 has trouble downgrading to 3G only while I'm at my place.

When I'm out, walking, it goes between 4G and 3G every time I need to send out a text, so it's not "scared" to choose a slower connection to work.

What are my options here? It's clearly a problem having to switch to 3G while I'm home.

Dec 10, 2014 3:01 PM in response to TheTripleX

I just found another post and someone had tired all that had been suggested but I hadn't done one of the things and that was delete old messages b4 you try and send a message. And that worked for me, I found that I could send messages to iPhone Phones as iMessages and to others and those where the ones I hadn't sent messages too before 😟 I am so glad that I found a work around but I am sad that I have had to delete some messages. But I guess it is good b/c I am a date hoarder lol

iPhone 6 can't send SMS (iOS 8.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.