Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a new iMac be used as a second display for my Lenovo ThinkPad W540 [or any windows pc]? It has a Thunderbolt port.

I have limited desk space but require two monitors to work efficiently. I am looking to purchase a new iMac and am curious if I could use it as a display for my work PC - a Lenovo ThinkPad W540 - It is Thunderbolt equipped [not mini display-real thunderbolt]. Would this work if I connected the two via Thunderbolt cable?

Hoping so, Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Windows 7, ThinkPad, Thunderbolt

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 10:59 AM

Generally it is Apple-to-Apple only. This Apple article may help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

The other option is screen sharing software:

http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

10 replies

Nov 1, 2014 12:21 PM in response to AnthPerri

AnthPerri wrote:

I thought so. That's too bad.R

Have you used Screen recycler? Is there any latency?

I'd recommend against Screen Recycler, it is extremely old and extremely slow. The reason Target Display Mode will not work with your setup is that PC's don't support video out with their Thunderbolt ports. They're good for data transfer just not set up to do video.

Apr 10, 2015 8:31 AM in response to AnthPerri

Hi, in about this iMac you can see the exact version, my iMac is a Mac (27-inch, Late 2009). It is only supported on the 27 inch version not on 21. And it is also not supported on the Retina iMac, too many pixels for the current Thunderbolt version.

My Thinkpad T440 has a standard displayport (compatible with Thunderbolt) and runs Windows 7, I did not install special drivers, just the standard drivers are used. Than I connect a displayport cable and voila. In Windows you can tweak the display settings to use both screens in extended mode, or use only one screen.To start with the savest setting is using iMac only as the screen. With the display button on the T440 keyboard you can select the Projector only button. That's all you need.

If you have an Apple reseller or Apple store near you it will be a good try-out.

Jan 12, 2016 9:04 AM in response to alexrij

Hello

I have a Lenovo T440p that I am also trying to use the iMac as my external monitor. I have purchased and returned several different display ports, can you tell me what brand you used and provide more details on any settings that you changed. With one of the connectors I can see the option to Display device on:VGA, but the think pad would never appear on the iMac. Would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Can a new iMac be used as a second display for my Lenovo ThinkPad W540 [or any windows pc]? It has a Thunderbolt port.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.