Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble extending my wireless network

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A). I'm trying to extend the network using my previous router, a Netgear N900. I am following the instructions on this page, but they seem out of date. In Airport Utility 6.3.4, when I click on the Airport Base Station a small box pops up that says "Edit". When I click on that, and then click the "Wireless" tab, there is no option to "allow this network to be extended".

Also, the bigger problem is that the N900 is not appearing in the Airport Utility, even though it is well within range. It doesn't show up in the grey area, nor does it show up when I click "other wi-fi devices".

Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 10:59 AM

13 replies

Oct 19, 2017 1:55 PM in response to Ginnshr100

I got a Apple TV box and I'm trying to hook it to my Netgear n900 wireless router ror WiFi extender from my Windstream router in another room

This issue would not have anything to do with an Apple AirPort router......the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and AirPort Time Capsule......the products pictured below that we support in this forum.

User uploaded file

You have an issue with an Apple TV, so you should post your question in the support forum linked just below for the Apple TV

Using Apple TV

If you have a question about one of the Apple routers above though, we can likely help.

Nov 1, 2014 11:14 AM in response to s_w_i_t_t_e_r_s

Actually, the real issue here is likely that Apple has designed their "extend a wireless network" feature to only work with other Apple routers.

So, if you are trying to use the Netgear router to wirelessly extend the signal from the AirPort Extreme....it is extremely unlikely that this would work. We would be tempted to say that there is no way that it will, but we haven't tested that particular Netgear model.

The "allow this network to be extended" setting is automatically enabled in the version of AirPort Utility that you are using, so it does not appear as an option.

AirPort Utility can only be used to configure Apple devices. A device from another manufacturer will never appear in AirPort Utility.

If you can consider a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection from the AirPort to the Netgear device, you do have an extending option available that way. Please post back for more details on that.

Nov 1, 2014 1:28 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I'll give it a shot and report back. According to "Charles S." in the answer to the first question on the Airport Express product page in Apple's store, he used an Airport Express to extend a signal from a non-Apple router that was configured as the primary device.

Is there a reason that the Airport Express would work for this, but not the Airport Extreme Base Station?

Nov 1, 2014 1:52 PM in response to s_w_i_t_t_e_r_s

The AirPort Express has a special function that allows it to "join" a network from a third party router for use with AirTunes, now called AirPlay.

But....the AirPort Express does not "extend" the wireless signal when it is configured this way, so the user likely may have thought that the Express was extending the network, when it was not.

Apple points this out in their product information on the AirPort Express:

If you already have a wireless network in your home and want to extend its range, AirPort Express can help. Just place it in range of your primary base station — an AirPort Extreme, AirPort Time Capsule, or another AirPort Express

AirPort Express

If you have a Mac laptop, there is a very easy way to find out if an AirPort is extending the network or joining the network. One provides more wireless signal coverage and other does not.

It is almost useless to try to configure the AirPort Extreme to "join" a third party network, since it does not really do anything in this mode. The Ethernet ports are not enabled, so no function there. It might be possible to connect a USB printer or hard drive to the AirPort Extreme, but that is all that it can do.

Nov 1, 2014 2:43 PM in response to s_w_i_t_t_e_r_s

Unfortunately the WNDR4500 which is the model I guess you are referring to is out of 3rd party mainstream and so offers very little.

You can buy a pair of EOP (homeplug) adapters if ethernet is too hard to run.. it will still work better than wireless extend if the house wiring matches the requirement although you can never be sure without trying.

Nov 1, 2014 6:33 PM in response to jerrySRQ

No, that should not be correct. You should be able to configure a roaming network with these two routers. The key is that need to be interconnected by Ethernet, which it sounds like you already have done so.

The other key elements of a roaming network are:

• Each router must have a unique router name.
  • Only the "main" router would have both DHCP & NAT enabled. All other routers would need to be reconfigured as bridges, i.e., DHCP & NAT disabled. In your case the Extreme would need to be in bridge mode.
  • Each router must broadcast a Wi-Fi network using the same network name (aka SSID) and use the same Wi-Fi security type and password.
  • You do NOT want to use the "Extend a wireless network" option on the Extreme. Instead, you want to use the "Create a wireless network" option instead. Note: It is required that each router used in this type of network, broadcast its own Wi-Fi network. The key is to use the same network name for each of them.

Nov 8, 2014 7:57 AM in response to s_w_i_t_t_e_r_s

Thanks to Tesserax. I was at the Genius bar this week and they claim the Extreme is much better and has stronger signal than the Verizon Fios. They recommended as you to "Create...." The new network seemed much stronger but had a new name. If I signed into the old network which still showed up and showed signal, it didn't work. What has happened to that network? They showed how to set the new network as the new priority network since things wanted to go back to the old network. Also, when the Extreme is in bridge mode, is the speed cut in half? Thanks again.

Having trouble extending my wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.