Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text replacements lost after upgrading to Yosemite

I extensively use OS X's text replacement feature (System Preferences > Keyboard > Text), and I have set up over a hundred replacements (for the purpose of technical writing). I upgraded to Yosemite today, and to my dismay all of those replacements have disappeared from my settings. Is there any way to recover them?

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 12:13 PM

13 replies

Nov 1, 2014 2:41 PM in response to jefelino

If you updated from Mavericks and still have a bootable version or a Time Machine backup; then, those are stored in /Users/username/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences NSUserDictionaryReplacementItems. Copy it from those to the same place in your Yosemite installation. You can make hidden files visible by running this command in the Terminal app:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1

once you've replaced the file, then this hides hidden files:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0

27" i7 iMac (Mid 2011) refurb, OS X Yo (10.10), Mavs, ML & SL, G4 450 MP w/10.5 & 9.2.2

Nov 12, 2014 11:21 AM in response to baltwo

I have the same issue - all my text replacements are gone.. It looks like it is because the key that these are stored under has changed to the key above.

However, adding items to this plist item does not seem to take - I can see that the new items are in this key, but the UI is still showing an empty list. A reboot is also clearing the list in the plist.

Any ideas on how to restore my text replacements?

Nov 21, 2014 8:13 PM in response to jefelino

I had this problem too after installing 10.10 or 10.10.1. Guess what? As soon as I turned on iCloud Drive, my text replacements came back! A bug perhaps; I suspect those young whipper snapper programmers only test for one nest case scenario. It never occurs to them that some of us might not want to enable iCloud Drive for a few days! I guessed this, because not even the default replacements were in the list.

Nov 23, 2014 1:26 PM in response to rogerowens

Interesting; I am having a similar problem. All my text substitutions had disappeared after upgrading to 10.10.1.

When I turned off iCloud Drive then turned it on again, one default entry then appeared: OMW On My Way! but not the rest of the usual fractions etc.

This has to be a bug of some sort but one that only affects certain users as it is clearly not a universal problem...

Nov 23, 2014 2:59 PM in response to Alan Perry

I should have added that the "fix" for the Macs did not occur until I enabled iCloud Drive for all my devices. The iOS devices' "fix" occurred after the last iOS device was enabled for iCloud Drive—before it was enabled on the Macs.

Also I waited for more than four hours before I checked the last, the second Mac. Maybe this syncing is very slow as well as problematic!

So maybe, since Text Replacements are synced across all four of my devices, the sync doesn't work right (perhaps a bug or incomplete implementation) until after all are enabled for iCloud Drive. Bizarre to say the least!

Text replacements lost after upgrading to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.