Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive can't delete folder

Greeting everyone,

I'm trying to use iCloud Drive as my primary drive. However, it's not working fine.

Briefly, it duplicated some of my folders, display them only in web interface (icloud.com) and when I click "delete" there, after while, is says "Can't delete this folder, try again later". I do it every day for a week. As a result, my storage becomes full and I need to pay more.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 1, 2014 10:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 12:12 PM

It seems to be a timing-out problem. If I delete small batches of files at a time, I don't get this error. If I delete a large folder, I do. Given that this is being done on the server side, it seems like a very strange problem, and I hope Apple will fix it soon. In the meantime, like eating an elephant, it does seem to be possible to delete folders if you do it a small bite at a time.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2014 12:12 PM in response to Dima4ka

It seems to be a timing-out problem. If I delete small batches of files at a time, I don't get this error. If I delete a large folder, I do. Given that this is being done on the server side, it seems like a very strange problem, and I hope Apple will fix it soon. In the meantime, like eating an elephant, it does seem to be possible to delete folders if you do it a small bite at a time.

Jun 28, 2015 8:19 PM in response to Dima4ka

Hi folks I called Apple on this same issue today and we found a work around that worked for me.

I opened up a new finder window and selected the iCloud Drive folder (I found it under my "Favorites" along with Airdrop, Applications, etc.)

From here I just deleted the folders/files that I wanted.

Then made sure to delete them from the Trash as well.

This did the trick. When opening up iCloud Drive from my phone or from the icloud.com website the changes were reflected- deleted files were gone.

Hope this helps you all.

Take care, Adam

Feb 22, 2016 8:56 AM in response to Dima4ka

I also had to delete 30GB of files, because of click&buy blocked my account so i couldn't receive no emails no more.

The following worked for me:

- go to iCloud drive in safari

- don't delete folders but files (like there are many pictures in one folder, select all and delete)

- wait 10 sec and upload a small file in the folder

- reload page and delete the small file

I guess when uploading a small file it deletes the old files in the folder.

Hope it helped

iCloud Drive can't delete folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.