Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to open/view AAE image files imported to Windows?

I've just imported my photos from my Iphone to my PC. I noticed that a lot of them are . JPG but a huge amount have the extension .AAE and windows can't open them or preview them. The AAE extension is new to me. I've never had this problem before.

I have learned that these are the pictures I've edited on the Iphone ( cropped them, or changed the brightness)

Does anyone know which windows compatible software can view my pictures? Or some trick? It does not go with Paint or Picasa or MS picture viewer. HELP PLEASE.

And I don't want to buy a Mac.

Thank you very much and kind regards.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 1:17 AM

Thanks for replying .I tried a whole bunch of those links but they don't help.

I hope Apple changes the .AAE extension to a windows compatible one in the next update of iOS for Iphone because I want to be able to view my downloaded pictures I edited on my IPhone on my PC. Or that they come up with a free windows compatible software for viewing pictures made and edited with an Iphone.

I have already learned that if i don't crop, or do not apply any other tricks you can do on the Iphone ( which I really like) then they remain JPG and then there is no problem. I can't find any solution on internet. And no doubt there are a lot of Windows users with an Iphone.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2014 1:17 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks for replying .I tried a whole bunch of those links but they don't help.

I hope Apple changes the .AAE extension to a windows compatible one in the next update of iOS for Iphone because I want to be able to view my downloaded pictures I edited on my IPhone on my PC. Or that they come up with a free windows compatible software for viewing pictures made and edited with an Iphone.

I have already learned that if i don't crop, or do not apply any other tricks you can do on the Iphone ( which I really like) then they remain JPG and then there is no problem. I can't find any solution on internet. And no doubt there are a lot of Windows users with an Iphone.

Nov 18, 2014 7:39 PM in response to Alednew

Hi,

I am also having this issue. I copied all my photos from my iTouch (version 8.1) to my XP computer. Most of them came across ok, but any photos which had been edited on my iPhone, that is taken with a colour filter active, the jpg photo isn't copied just the .aee sidecar file.

For example:

IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6524 (1).AAE

IMG_6524.AAE

IMG_6525.JPG

The AEE files are only 1KB so just an xml file, no image, edited or otherwise. Luckily I still have the edited image on my phone, but wonder how now can I extract that file to my pc? I am working from a second pc away from home on a trip (hence why I need extra space on my iTouch) and so luckily didn't click the 'delete original on extract' option. I now can't delete the photos manually from my phone as I don't know which ones were edited and which ones have been successfully backed up.

1/ If I do click the delete on extract, would that still keep the original unedited photo on the phone?

2/ How can I import the actual photo to my computer (normally using Win7 not WinXP)?

Thanks to anyone who has worked through the similar scenario and can give some advice.

Andy

Dec 1, 2014 10:28 AM in response to Alednew

My temporary solution to this problem was to upload them to DROPBOX. Then go to your DROPBOX and you can collect all your images in their original sizes. You can also email them to yourself but they do not retain their original size even though you select the original size when emailing. Very frustrating to have your pictures unopenable after backing them up to your computer or going in after connecting your phone and copying them over to your computer.

Aug 25, 2015 1:38 PM in response to Alednew

I don't know how to preview or open the pictures You already took, but I know what to do to be able to preview or open the pictures in the future.

Same thing happened to me. Go to your phone camera app, in the right lower corner there is a three bubble looking icon, this is for picture effects. Tap on it. You will get a screen with nine different choices of picture effects, choose the one in the middle , that says NONE. Apparently when You choose an effect for the picture your camera takes the picture unedited, edits it, then adds those AAE files for effects and your computer reads those files separately, but doesn't open none.Neither JPEG nor AAE. I selected the NONE for effects, took a picture and it worked for me.

Sep 20, 2016 9:33 AM in response to Alednew

I quote:

http://www.file-extensions.org/convert-aae-to-jpg

What is the best converter used for converting aae format to jpg file format.

This conversion is often sought by Mac, iPhone or iPad users that try to recover their photos (typically .jpg) from .aae files they find on their devices.

If you only have single .aae file, you cannot convert / recover data from it. Every .aee file is generated for some particular .jpg photo and contains changes made to it in Apple Photos app. You have to look for your photos in your device or Mac so you can load them up along with the .aae file to apply the changes.

If you do not have the original photos, aae to jpg conversion is simply NOT possible.

Unfortunately, there is no detailed software record in the database for this conversion.

This conversion entry was verified by us and conversion from aae to jpg was flagged as wrong or not possible.
Usually this happens when the conversion would try to convert different types of data between each other, such as audio to image, or it can't be done because incompatibility between programs, caused by closed file formats, very limited support or by other problems.

Basically - Apple are using a unique format that no-one else in the known World uses.

Mammaries on the male bovine species comes to mind.

how to open/view AAE image files imported to Windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.