Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture frozen on "loading assets"

Recently upgraded to Yosemite and Aperture 3.6. Never had this problem prior. Aperture, when importing camera card (or from iPhone) is frozen on "loading assets". Sometimes I see no previews of photos and sometimes I see a few previews but am never able to actually hit import button. I've tried rebooting, I've tried opening up more hard drive space, I've tried to import to different locations, I've tried importing from my iPhone: None of this worked. Please help.

Aperture 3, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 1:11 AM

25 replies

Nov 2, 2014 11:06 AM in response to japk1234

I had the same problem after upgrading to Yosemite and Aperture 3.6. Restarted Aperture multiple times, rebooted, repaired permissions, nothing worked.

Someone on another thread posted: Empty Trash. So I quit Aperture, emptied the trash, restarted Aperture... and my import worked 🙂

I hope it will work for you too!

Nov 2, 2014 3:00 PM in response to japk1234

How much free disk space do you have on the drive with your Aperture library? Where is the library stored?

Test, if you can import into a new, empty Aperture library. If a new Aperture library will work, troubleshoot your current library using the library first aid tools and repair the database, and if that does not help, back up the library and rebuild it.

To repair or rebuild the Aperture library:

• Select your Aperture library in the Finder.
  • Hold down the option-command-keys ⌥⌘ simultaneously, double-click the library to open in Aperture,
  • Hold down the keys, until the First-Aid panel opens.
  • Select "Repair database". This may take a while for a large library.
  • If it does not help, backup the library and try "Rebuild Library"

Nov 2, 2014 5:16 PM in response to léonie

I have 70 GB on my iMac hard drive. The Aperture Library is on my hard drive. I wasn't able to import onto this as a "managed" file or my external hard drive as a "referenced file". In fact, I don't even have the opportunity to hit the import button at all: Since updating to Yosemite and A3.6, when attaching my iPhone or camera card, the Aperture 3.6 import screen pops up and perpetually says "loading assets" on bottom left. Sometimes many thumbnails show up on the screen, but not all, sometimes no thumbnails show up. This goes on in perpetuity and the import button, while visible, is not active and cannot be pressed.

Nov 13, 2014 5:55 AM in response to japk1234

I have the same or at least a related problem. Using OS X Yosemite 10.10 and Aperture 3.6 I am unable to import any pictures from the compact flash card of my Canon EOS 300D (also known as Digital Rebel). Aperture says it is Loading assets for Import View, endlessly without any progress (Status remains 0).

I've gone through all of the Aperture 3: Troubleshooting basics - Apple Support except for reinstalling Aperture. Image Capture cannot import the pictures (or even make an overview of the pictures) either.

Others appear to have the same problem:

Problem with Aperture will not stop loading assets

Aperture 3.2.2 is stuck on "loading assets" after I updated

Background: Just upgraded to OS Yosemite; Just upgraded to ISO 8.1. Unable to upload picture or video from my iPhone 5s…

Re: importing problem

Dec 29, 2014 3:51 AM in response to japk1234

Me too.

My conspiracy theory mind thinks that have they introduced a silly bug with a work around (copying it onto the hard drive) to put us off Aperture so we transition to the new Photos app willingly!

Common Apple. If you want to drop support for Aperture then it is your right to do it but please don't make it worse before you go! Can we have a patch please.

Jan 1, 2015 5:04 AM in response to japk1234

I've got the same problem and I've done a fair bit of testing, without any real solution.

I've repaired the database, and that made no difference. I've started with a blank photo.library and that made no difference.

One of the tests is this:

Insert an SD card or camera (via USB), then Aperture 3.6 (A3.6) starts up itself, and the import routine starts. It says "Loading Assets". If you click on the swirling circular icon, a window pops up with the Activity. You can compare the progress of file importing in this Activity window with the number of Imported files notified at the bottom right of A3.6, which also says number of files imported.

It should go through the SD card and complete the task and the activity ends.

However, instead, randomly, it often gets stuck, part way.

When I eject the SD card in Finder and reassert it, the routine starts up again.

I've done this repeatedly, with my Photo.Library and a blank database/library. I've used two SD cards, on 1Gb the other 2Gb.

I've tried it with A3.6 running and I've tried it by closing A3.6 each time and starting the program fresh.

Each time I get random results. It starts the import and freezes after a random number of photos. Sometimes, it stops after just 6 photos, sometime its stops after 156. Occasionally, it completes the task and does all photos (on these SD cards that's about 220 or 415 photos).

There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

In 10 recorded tests (out of many unrecorded), it completed as follows:

1) 155 photos imported

2) 176

3) 136

4) 156

5) All 415 photos, task completed

6) 256

7) All photos, task completed

8) All photos, task completed

9) 6 photos

10) All photos, task completed

APPLE - PLEASE RESPOND. YOUR REPUTATION IS AT RISK AND USERS ARE LOOKING TO DUMP APERTURE. Some on this forum think you are ignoring this problem, or even creating the problem, deliberately.

PLEASE RESPOND....

Jan 1, 2015 9:56 AM in response to Martin Glass

I have also seen this 'loading assets' delay with the current version of Aperture and the current Yosemite OSX. But I only see this problem randomly when importing photos from iOS 8.1.2 devices. I have never seen this problem when importing directly into Aperture 3.6 from any of my Nikon DSLR bodies.
My workaround for the iOS photo imports 'loading assets' interminable delay is instead to import photos into the current companion version of iPhoto instead of Aperture. For some reason this works, and since I have Aperture and iPhoto sharing the same library, it is no problem. Good luck.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.