Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to recover calendar from time machine backup?

after upgrading the os to Yosemite and setting up iCloud my calendar on my mac has gone blank.

how can i restore my calendar from time machine?

please help

thanks Dinesh

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 5:26 PM

If you synchronize any of your calendars with a server such as iCloud, disable that synchronization. Quit Calendar.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Calendars

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder selected. Enter Time Machine and restore that folder from the snapshot you want.

Relaunch Calendar and test. Your calendars should be as they were when the snapshot was taken. If you don't sync with a server, stop here.

If you do sync some of the calendars with a server, select each one in turn and then select

File ▹ Export ▹ Export…

from the menu bar. You'll get ICS files with the filename extension ".ics".

Re-enable sync. Usually, all the calendars you just restored will be deleted. That's not a problem.

Create a new calendar on the server for each one you exported and want to sync:

File ▹ New Calendar

Then import the calendar from the corresponding ICS file by double-clicking it. Follow the prompts to import the new events to the calendar you just created.

For calendars that you don't want to sync, just import them again. They'll appear in the calendar list under On My Mac.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2014 5:26 PM in response to Dinesh from leicester

If you synchronize any of your calendars with a server such as iCloud, disable that synchronization. Quit Calendar.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Calendars

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder selected. Enter Time Machine and restore that folder from the snapshot you want.

Relaunch Calendar and test. Your calendars should be as they were when the snapshot was taken. If you don't sync with a server, stop here.

If you do sync some of the calendars with a server, select each one in turn and then select

File ▹ Export ▹ Export…

from the menu bar. You'll get ICS files with the filename extension ".ics".

Re-enable sync. Usually, all the calendars you just restored will be deleted. That's not a problem.

Create a new calendar on the server for each one you exported and want to sync:

File ▹ New Calendar

Then import the calendar from the corresponding ICS file by double-clicking it. Follow the prompts to import the new events to the calendar you just created.

For calendars that you don't want to sync, just import them again. They'll appear in the calendar list under On My Mac.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Mar 29, 2015 11:10 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your clear instructions. I tried doing exactly what you instructed, but still do not have my old calendar restored. It simply disappeared taking all my events with it. I did spend several hours on the phone with a very helpful Apple tech manager, but despite trying this and many other sophisticated methods we were not able to restore my "Home" calendar from a previous Time Machine backup. The data must be there, though, right?

I have tried searching my computer for specific events that I know were only on that calendar (like "Augusta" for a trip I took in February). When I use March 20 as my restore from file (a date I know my calendar was present) it copies and loads but then when I open the calendar: nothing. I had turned of iCloud so it wasn't overwriting my newly restored calendar.

Desperate to recover all this weeks events which were so carefully orchestrated and placed on my now invisible calendar. Please help!

how to recover calendar from time machine backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.