Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes hangs up searching music when cd is being imported

Hi All,

I have been experiencing this problem for the last few versions of iTunes now and was hoping it would resolve but, of course, it hasn't. What is happening is this: if I start importing a cd into iTunes and then, while the cd is importing, click back to Music to search what I have and pick some music to play, iTunes starts beach balling and pretty much locks up and slows down to a crawl While this is happening, I can't use the cursor to control anything in iTunes. This continues until the cd finishes importing. Can anyone help? I like to listen to music while cds import and used to have no problem with this.

Hardware: iMac model 12.1, 2.7ghz intel core i5, Mid 2011 with new;ly upgraded 20gb of memory.

App: iTunes 12.1.26

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 20GB memory

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 6:46 AM

3 replies

Nov 4, 2014 12:51 PM in response to kilroy126

Hey kilroy126,

Thanks for the question. I understand you are experiencing issues with iTunes on OS X. The following resources provide some great trobuleshooting and isolation steps:

iTunes: Troubleshooting issues with third-party iTunes plug-ins

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3430

There are several ways in which an add-on can cause iTunes to act erratically, such as those listed below:

- Loss of iTunes functionality, such as the Visualizer.

- Distortion or irregularity in the iTunes interface.

- Slow performance.

- iTunes won't open or quits unexpectedly.

- You see an alert while syncing stating "... cannot be synced. A duplicate file name was specified."

If you notice any of the above symptoms or other unusual behavior, you can disable any plug-ins not manufactured by Apple by opening iTunes in Safe Mode. This is done by holding down the Option and Command keys (on Mac OS X) or holding down the Shift and Control keys (on Windows) while opening iTunes. If performed correctly, you should see the following dialog before iTunes finishes starting up:

User uploaded file

"iTunes is running in Safe Mode. Visual plug-ins you have installed have been temporarily disabled."

Isolating an issue by using another user account

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4053

Symptoms

When isolating issues and/or troubleshooting software issues in OS X, you might want to use a different user account. Learn how to use this technique to narrow down the cause of an issue.

Resolution

The issue at hand may simply be caused by a bad preference setting or user-specific data file. With proper isolation, you can avoid time-consuming and inappropriate troubleshooting methods.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Nov 5, 2014 2:34 PM in response to kilroy126

Hi kilroy126,

Thank you for your reply.

Since this behavior occurs when your Mac is reading an importing a CD, you may also want to peform this particular hardware reset:

Reset your computer’s PRAM

Resetting PRAM may change some system settings and preferences. Use System Preferences to restore your settings.

After resetting your computer’s PRAM, you may need to update your speaker volume, display resolution, and startup disk preferences.

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  5. Release the keys.

You can find the article with these steps and more information here:

OS X Yosemite: Reset your computer’s PRAM

If this step and Matt's advice above doesn't solve it for you, you may find more information by using another one of Apple's support resources - https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

itunes hangs up searching music when cd is being imported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.