Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help! Wrong Aperture Database in "Media" Category in Mac Finder

This is a simple problem but I can't fix it for the life of me.

Here it is: I use multiple Aperture databases (categorized by year) and every time I try to load photos to Craigslist, Walgreens, or just anywhere on the web, it only gives me one Aperture database in the "media" section of my Finder. How do I switch the Aperture Database to a different one? (For what it's worth, the Aperture database it always loads is a small one; the one I want to load is my main one that is much, much larger (600G)). In case it matters, all Aperture databases are on an external hard drive and not on my computer and I'm using Aperture 3.5.1.

I asked this question before and got these responses (see below). However, the two links to the articles no longer exist, and the problem wasn't fixed when I switched databases and restarted it (their first suggestion). I wasn't comfortable removing a file without an article or something else other than someone's suggestion.

Please help! I need to upload photos!

Thanks!!!

How do I change which Aperture database Finder uses?

Andy, is your profile signature "iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)" still correct or has your system changed since you set it up?

the Aperture database that is under Media - Photo is the wrong one

This may be a problem of a wrong entry in the Aperture preferences file. The Media Browser will use the most recently opened Aperture library . Try first to switch to a new empty Aperture library and then back (you can switch using the File menu in Aperture (File > Switch to Library > Other/New). Then restart your Mac to ensure, that all applications terminate properly.

If you are running Aperture 3.5.1 in Mt. Lion or later, you may need to enable the option "Share XML with other applications" in the Aperture preferences "Preview" tab. This is only necessary for non-Apple apps (Aperture 3.5: Set "Share XML with other applications" to "Never" for better performance and faster quit times).

If that does not correct the Aperture library in the Media Browser, quit Aperture and remove the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" file from the Preferences folder as described in Aperture 3: Troubleshooting basics-

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 8:29 AM

1 reply

Nov 4, 2014 12:06 AM in response to Confused in the Lou

Do your images in your main Aperture library have previews?

Check the "Preferences > Preview" settings. If "New Projects automatically create Previews" has not always been enabled, update the previews for the albums that you want to share (Photos > Update Preview, or first "Photos > Delete Preview", then "Photos > Update Preview"). The previews are required for the Media Browser.

For third-party aps "Share XML with other apps" may need to be enabled.

What kind of external drive are you using with your main Aperture library? Is it directly connected and correctly formatted? Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

Have you recently repaired the Aperture library? If the media browser does not show the library at all, even in native Mac applications like Mail or Preview, repair the library, see Aperture 3 User Manual: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library

I wasn't comfortable removing a file without an article or something else other than someone's suggestion.

Sometimes it helps to force Aperture to recreate the preferences file by changing entries that require rewriting the file, like defining a new keyword in the Keywords HUD and then applying the keyword. Then restart the system before trying to access the Media Browser. This way all other apps will read the preferences again and not use cached data.

Please help! Wrong Aperture Database in "Media" Category in Mac Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.