Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (mid '11) won't accept RAM

My dad bought a used Mac Mini (mid '11) and it came with 2 x 1 GB RAM installed. We have tried to upgrade to 2 x 4 GB of RAM and here's the problem: First we bought Kingston RAM, using Mactracker as a guide, telling us to get 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM, which we did. No good - the Mac refused to start and we got beeps instead. We thought it had to be the RAM - installing the original RAM and the Mini runs fine again. We returned the Kingston RAM, got some new in return, only to find that they did the same: The Mini just beeps and cannot start with the Kingston RAM. Thus, we returned the RAM once again and then we found another manufacturer, i.e. Crucial. Low and behold, they do the exact same! The Mini will not recognize them, even if they switch places or if we try with one of the original + new, it fails.

We bought these Corsair: Corsair Mac Memory - DDR3 - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - SO DIMM 204-pin (CMSA8GX3M2A1333C9).

When we gave up and tried to install the original RAM, it beeped again! Switching the originals and it finally worked again.

Anyone who knows what is happening here??

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 7:48 AM

18 replies

Nov 2, 2014 8:47 AM in response to Dan S. Pedersen

Many after market modules have a slightly thicker blade, that may require a firmer push to seat. Keep in mind, that you do not want to push hard on just the modules and damage the memory rail.

see > Mac mini: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

in short: support the memory rail with your index fingers, firmly seat the module with your thumbs and then push it down into the clips.

Jan 1, 2016 1:15 AM in response to Dan S. Pedersen

Interestingly, I have exactly the same problem. Dan, did you resolve this and if so, how?

My problem relates to a 2.4Ghz mid-2010 Mac Mini that came with 2 x 1GB RAM. I bought a 2 x 4GB upgrade from Crucial and expected it to just work however when replacing the two 1GB modules with the new 4GB modules, I got the one beep every 5 seconds and the Mini wouldn't start.

I put the original 1GB modules back in and all was well. I then started playing around with various combinations to discover that it is the lower slot that was causing issues. The new 4GB modules are the right specification and work in the top slot i.e. with nothing in the lower slot, I can put a 4GB module in the top slot and it works fine. I've done this with both 4GB modules and they both work. I've even put an original 1GB module in the lower slot and a new 4GB module in the top slot and the machine boots and recognises 5GB memory.

However as soon as I put a 4GB module in the lower slot I get the beeps again. It seems to be a seating issue as if you apply some gentle pressure on the 4GB module in the lower slot whilst booting it seems to work. I've not seen anything this temperamental before. Not sure if cleaning the slot with an air blower or alcohol spray will do anything, but that's what I'll try next.

Any ideas welcome!

Mar 16, 2016 9:19 AM in response to Webfountain

I too have the same problem. My problem description would match yours word for word apart from fact that I'm using Kingston memory on a mac mini mid 2011.

This very much looks like a seating problem on slot 0 with after market replacement memory. I imagine the spec is very slightly different from the original.

Has anybody found a way around this ?

I'm considering some way to depress the slot 0 memory down more firmly.

May 13, 2016 12:02 PM in response to Dan S. Pedersen

I'd like to report a similar problem. Mac mini mid 2011. Corsair Mac Memory CMSA4GX3M1A1333C9

With Corsair RAM my mini just constantly rebooting (no any beeps). With combination of Corsair and original module it makes 3 beeps or (depending on in what slot Corsair is installed) even displaying grey screen but then rebooting again.

Was anyone in this topic successful with upgrade?

May 15, 2016 11:19 AM in response to aaBUBA

Surprisingly it's working now. I played a bit with module in bank 0. All like mentioned by Webfountain

"It seems to be a seating issue as if you apply some gentle pressure on the 4GB module in the lower slot whilst booting it seems to work"

I tried to apply "gentle pressure" and at first made it working with one module. Then rolled up the piece of soft paper and put under second module (in-between of modules). Attaching the photo. Now writing this post with new 8Gb memory.User uploaded file

Mac Mini (mid '11) won't accept RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.