Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VMware Fusion running very slow after upgrade to Yosemite

iMac mid 2011 - intel. I upgraded to OS X Yosemite ver 10.10. I am running VMware Fusion Version 7.0.1. My VM is XP with MS Money as the app in question. (I know - old school). The VM is very slow to start and MS Money is so slow it is unusable. I read on the VM site to re-install Yosemite. I did. VM and MS Money started and were very fast - until I shut my iMac down. Upon startup I am getting a progress bar under the gray screen with the Apple. Takes about 30 seconds to boot and to get to a login. When I try to start my VM it is back to being unusable. I feel sure I could reinstall Yosemite and it would be fine again, but I would never be able to shut down - only put it to Sleep mode. It is like something is not "hooking" during the instal. Any ideas?

VMware-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 11:42 AM

12 replies

Nov 3, 2014 5:33 AM in response to Lotus001

It is probably re-indexing your disk or something. I wrote a little diagnostic program to help show what might be causing these problems. Download EtreCheck from http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck, run it, and paste the results here. EtreCheck is perfectly safe to run, does not ask for your password to install, and is signed with my Apple Developer ID.

Disclaimer: Although EtreCheck is free, there are other links on my site that could give me some form of compensation, financial or otherwise.

PS: You can also just go to Activity Monitor > Show All Processes > Sort by CPU to see which process is taking up your CPU. Of course, if that doesn't reveal anything interesting, you'll have to go back to my first suggestion.

Nov 3, 2014 6:34 AM in response to Pindar

Thank you Justan!

Your link SOLVED my issue and I repost that information here:

Correct Answer by dariusd on Oct 22, 2014 6:25 AM

You've bumped into an Apple bug, affecting all hypervisor programs running on Yosemite on mid-2011 iMacs. Apple is aware of the issue.

You can work around it by opening Terminal, and running the following command:

sudo nvram boot-args=debug=0x10

Then, restart your Mac. Fusion should then perform normally.

Cheers,

--

Darius

VMware Fusion running very slow after upgrade to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.