Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage - put container(s) failed

Hello,

I'm trying to send picture files through iMessage from my MacBook Pro 2014. I recently upgraded to OS X Yosemite and all was fine until today when I tried sending a few picture files and all failed, with the file transfer window initially showing as sent, then switching to "put container(s) failed."

Reading through previous faults similarly related, I've checked on the Activity Monitor for IMTransferAgent and it's not stuck so I know it's not that causing the fault.

Another fault that is also occurring is that during the file transfer, the time remaining is a negative number;User uploaded file

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 1:37 PM

HI,

IMTransferAgent is for sending with an AIM or Jabber account (there is s similar named one of iMessages) (or the LAN based Bonjour account)

Is it an AIM or Jabber Account that is involved ?

The size of the file look "wrong"

1) it says it contains 0 bytes

2) it still says it sent something (360kb)

3) do you really have a 2.5Tbps service ?

4) not surprising this took or is expected to take -52 secs (Minus 52 sec).

The App checks the Speed of the Internet connection it can see when it starts up. (it writes it to a .plist for the app)

If it is recording the "wrong" speed it will pay to restart the app.

User uploaded file

9:37 pm Sunday; November 2, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2014 1:37 PM in response to dannyskudder

HI,

IMTransferAgent is for sending with an AIM or Jabber account (there is s similar named one of iMessages) (or the LAN based Bonjour account)

Is it an AIM or Jabber Account that is involved ?

The size of the file look "wrong"

1) it says it contains 0 bytes

2) it still says it sent something (360kb)

3) do you really have a 2.5Tbps service ?

4) not surprising this took or is expected to take -52 secs (Minus 52 sec).

The App checks the Speed of the Internet connection it can see when it starts up. (it writes it to a .plist for the app)

If it is recording the "wrong" speed it will pay to restart the app.

User uploaded file

9:37 pm Sunday; November 2, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 12, 2015 1:29 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I have had this problem for months now. Same as above. Says the file is zero KB. I've tried with tons of different files (mostly small jpg, png etc) but it keeps saying "put container(s) failed". I't so annoying! And I can't receive files. Everything pops up OK in the iPhone but the mirror account on the computer shows nothing (well.. "Vendor request failed")

I have no AIM or Bonjour account active, just my iMessage...

SO annoying!

Aug 12, 2015 2:16 PM in response to daniel1210

Hi,

The Messages app is one of the ones that is Sandboxed.

This tends to mean the app is set up in a way that a crash will not bring down other apps.

This is reality means that the app has a Read and Write path (~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Messages And then an Alias for a folder called Attachments), And a place where it actually stores the files that your are sent (~/Library/Messages/Attachments)

If, for some reason you have lost Read and Write permissions to any of the containing Folders then you will not be able to store the item being sent to you.

Use the Finder window.

Use the Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key.

Select the Library that appears in the List.

Select CoverFlow view if you are not already.

From the Finder > View Menu > Show Path Bar (this shows icons of the folder across the bottom of the window).

From the View Menu > Show View Option choose the Modified column option.

Navigate to Messages/Attachments.

In the Path Bar right click the icon for the Messages folder and select Get Info.

Scroll to the bottom of the info panel.

Your Short name should appear.

Select this and Unlock the Padlock

Now use the little Cogwheel icon.

This should show that you Own the file by being greyed Out.

If required make it that you do Own it and also apply this to the Contents.

Repeat for all the folders in the other path involving the Contains folder.

It is long winded and time consuming but it is a less of a sledge hammer approach.

User uploaded file

10:16 p.m. Wednesday; August 12, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 13, 2015 12:22 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks for the reply! I did what you described on both containers and messages folder but with no success. (I had the app closed and I even did a reboot) I also did a verify permissions/repair permissions in Disk Utility just for safety but still no success. :/

(I see that I am in the thread for Maverick although I have Yosemite, sorry for that)

Aug 13, 2015 12:51 PM in response to daniel1210

Hi,

Repairing Permissions only looks at the System side of things and not your Personal setting in the ~/Library

In fact in the El Capitan beta the ability to Repair Permissions seems to disappear.

I would try this

Reset Home Folder permissions and ACLs Error

Scroll down to Linc's Green indicated answer and reset the Flags (Ownership and Permissions) on the Home folder.

He describes two methods of doing this.

It is more invasive than just looking like we did earlier as it checks all your files and changes them where required.

On the other hand it is more certain.

User uploaded file

8:51 p.m. Thursday; August 13, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 26, 2016 5:40 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I tried his step, and it looked like it worked (got to the step where the terminal showed $ before restarting), but it's still the same. If i try to send an image via message on my desktop to a cell, it says "Not delivered". And when people try sending me one I get the "There was an error trying to..."

So frustrating. I'm sure there's something I do wrong but I can't figure it out! 😟

Apr 26, 2016 12:24 PM in response to daniel1210

Hummm.

This is odd.

In GoogleTalk chats and AIM chats I have issues with Pics in line in the chats and have to send them in folders or Zip them before sending (folders get zipped automatically).

I have no issue with sending pics to other Macs or iPhones with the iMessages account.

Try resetting the NVRAM How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

User uploaded file

8:24 pm Tuesday; April 26, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Apr 27, 2016 12:53 PM in response to daniel1210

Hi,

DO you use a third party Firewall or a App like Little Snitch to monitor and allow which IP and Ports and App is using ?

http://alternativeto.net/software/little-snitch/ (This list is for all Platforms)

Little Snitch treats sub processes as separate items and can block the File Transfer items as they don't have "Messages" in the name.

User uploaded file

IMRemoteURLConnection is for iMessages.

There is a similar named one but with File Transfer as part of the name that handles iMessages File transfer and a variation to that also handles AIMand Jabber File Transfers. They tend to show when a pic or file is sent.

User uploaded file

8:53 pm Wednesday; April 27, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

iMessage - put container(s) failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.