Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrate from 10.4 Tiger to 10.10 Yosemite?

I am upgrading from a G5 running OS X 10.4.11 Tiger to a new machine running Yosemite. The old machine and OS are so old, the migration doesn't work. Is it true that I can migrate to an intermediate machine running 10.6 Snow Leopard, and from there to the new machine?

In particular, I would like to migrate my mail, contacts and calendar.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 11:53 AM

20 replies

Nov 2, 2014 1:42 PM in response to pen-helm

What did you try to migrate? You should not have any issues with your Home folder, only. If you don't use MA, then use CCC and only restore the Home folder - Users/your_username/. In CCC you first uncheck the All box for the entire disk. Then scroll down to the Users folder and click on the little arrowhead/triangle to reveal the content, then scroll down to Users folder, click on the little triangle and then select the folder that is your "your_username." Set the Destination as your new computer.

If I were you I would first boot from your CCC bootable backup to do the backup restore, otherwise you will be restoring to the active startup drive, and that does not usually work well.

Nov 3, 2014 8:28 AM in response to Kappy

In my humble estimation, I did do what you said: use CCC to restore one home folder. I don't know why it had to repair the Library, or which Library. I don't know why the applications wouldn't launch.

But I do know this is never going to work: Apple says so.

I would like to get back to considering Migration. I would like to use Migration Assistant, first to a Snow Leopard machine, and from there to the Yosemite machine. Will that work?

I do appreciate your help!

Yours gratefully, Pen.

Nov 3, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Kappy

OK. I appreciate your help.

To be safe, I'd like to verify how to start from scratch on the Yosemite machine.

Is this correct?:

boot with cmd-R

use Disk utility to delete "Macintosh HD"

create a new volume (Extended, Journaled)

tell it to reinstall the OS

is that right? I don't want to delete the recovery partition.

migrate from 10.4 Tiger to 10.10 Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.