Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand update not free?

I have GarageBand 6.0.5 and its correctly sitting in the applications folder and I haven't renamed it or changed it in any way. When I visit the Mac App Store, GarageBand 10.0.3 shows up as an App I would have to pay for rather than a free update. Is this right? How can I resolve this issue please?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 1:42 PM

6 replies

Mar 11, 2017 6:16 AM in response to Jnesbitt82

I second that comment Jnesbitt82!

These are the steps I took and I also was not charged. When I went to purchase, the message said it was a "free update" (I am also certain Ive never purchased GBv10 previously).

I recently wiped/reinstalled my system straight to El Capitan (I have a 2009 Macbook pro, so no Sierra for me unfortunately...), and realized Garageband wasn't on my system any more. When I first went to the app store, GBv10 showed up with the $4.99 "Buy" button.

So did the following and got the update/upgrade for free:

1. I installed GBv6 originally from my iLife 11 CD (First time I've used a CD to install a program in years it feels like! Lol).

PS, you can chose the "customize" option and install only GBv6, if you don't need/want to install the other iLife suite programs. They are mostly outdated now so really Garage Band is the only program worth while installing.

2. Updated to latest version 6, thru the mac app store. It showed up under the updates tab --> Software Update (same place as typical OS X updates show up).

3. THEN..."Purchased" Version 10 from the app store. At which point you should get the "free update" notification. It only said it was free AFTER I confirmed I actually wanted to purchase, so not immediately after you click "Buy"... so hang in there!

4. Enjoy GBv10! Once the install was complete, GBv6 was automatically moved to its own folder, titled "GarageBand 6.0" within the applications folder. As Leoni stated above, you can keep and run both versions, should you decide to.

Disclaimer, I can't for 100% certainty say that you will not be charged, so proceed at your own risk!

GBv10 is such a great upgrade, I wouldn't be mad if Apple had charged me, it is well worth the cost of a McD Combo Meal... Lol

Sorry for the long post, just trying to be helpful to anyone who previously had GBv6. Take a chance, I think your odds are pretty good it'll be free 🙂

Cheers,

Panamaniak

Nov 2, 2014 2:10 PM in response to fungusturret

All updates are paid upgrades, if the first number of the version number changes. Going from GarageBand 6.0.5 to GarageBand 10.0 is a major upgrade and not a free update.

The price for the upgrade from GarageBand 6.0.5 to 10 used to be 0$, but you would have to pay $4.99 for the in-app purchase. Apple changed the price. Now you pay $4.99 for the upgrade, but the essential in-app purchase will be free. (Expanding GarageBand for Mac (v10.0) content with an in-app purchase)

When you decide to upgrade to GarageBand 10, don't uninstall GarageBand '11, version 6.0.5. until you are sure, that you don't need it. It will work with Yosemite, and GarageBand 10 and 6.0.5 can share the instrument library. You may want to use the older version occasionally, since the new version does not support all features. Also, you may want to use the instruments, that are missing in GarageBand 10.0

Nov 2, 2014 2:17 PM in response to fungusturret

You're welcome.

GarageBand '11, version 6.0.5 is great, and you will not want to lose it. Installing GaraBand 10 as well will give you additional options, for example the smart instruments: Drummers, that will play automatically to your song, arpeggiators to create automatic accompaniments, the Amp designer. There is also the midi draw area, that lets you draw automation curves for effects. It would be worthwhile to explore the new possibilities. Perhaps you have the opportunity to try it out at the nearest Apple Store. I start my projects in GarageBand '11, the add the drummers and arpeggiators in GarageBand 10, and finish it in Logic.

GarageBand update not free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.