Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since I installed Yosemite, Mail flags are no more flags but letters, like R for red, O for orange.. How can I get my colored flags back..? :-/

Since I installed Yosemite, Mail flags are no more flags but letters, like R for red, O for orange.. How can I get my colored flags back..? 😕

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 2:32 PM

22 replies

Mar 1, 2017 8:35 AM in response to rzachol

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

Jan 1, 2017 11:59 AM in response to Michael Linehan

Jan 1 2017... this has been happening to me for over 6 months, maybe more. I quite Mail and re-launch, and the flags are always back, but it seems like less and less time goes by before they morph back into words. Today for the 1st time ever, I quit Mail after the flags turned into letters, and when I re-launched a few minutes later, the flags turned into words almost immediately, like within 30 seconds. In the past it has taken hours or (used to be) days before the flags would turn into words. So, Michael, I concur that the problem persists and seems to be getting worse, i.e., the flags turn into words much quicker than they ever have before. What a PITA to have to re-launch Mail multiple times a day just so see my flags as FLAGS!!! FIX THIS APPLE!

Nov 5, 2014 6:47 AM in response to Swingflag

Hi Swingflag,

Do you have any third party Mail plug-ins installed? One or more of those may be causing this issue. You can check for them by looking in the locations shown in this article -

OS X: Third-party plugins for Mail may no longer work after updating OS X - Apple Support

In order to go to a specific folder, follow the directions in this article -

OS X Yosemite: Go directly to a specific folder

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Dec 14, 2014 6:51 AM in response to Swingflag

Hi,

I have the same issue with Yosemite's Mail.

When freshly starting up Mail, the Flags are shown in their colorful icons.

Then, leaving Mail open, the Flag icons turn into text for the color name. Very weird.

At one instance, I saw a few older email with the colored Flag icons, but the new emails were in text. I should have taken a screen shot.

In any case, it does seem to change from colored Flag icons, to flag color name text over time.

Restarting the Mail app will restore the Flag icons once again, but then again over time, they will change to text again.

No other functional problems with Mail app. It's just 'ugly' looking with no Flag icons, but just text in the Flag column.

NO 3rd party plug-ins installed. Latest Yosemite 10.10.1 with Mail version 8.1 (1993).

Any fix advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Since I installed Yosemite, Mail flags are no more flags but letters, like R for red, O for orange.. How can I get my colored flags back..? :-/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.