Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite and Adobe CS6 compatibility

As a graphic designer and Apple computer user since a very long time I was always more than satisfied by everything Apple did with Mac OS X which I can say without hesitation is the best operating system ever released. Unfortunately for the very first time of my life I have to say that I'm very disapointed by the new OS Apple launched last October: Yosemite. I absolutely have nothing against the fact Apple wants to link OS X with iOS and I really love the new GUI of the system. However as a professional I deeply regret having upgraded my system.

I own an iMac 27 inches i7 mid 2010 and a MacBook Air i7 mid 2011 and have updated OS X on both computers by doing a clean install (saved data on an external drive, erased the hard drive partition then installed Yosemite).

Despite the fact that the os is a little bit buggy and slow (I'm not talking about the boot but the finder) I also realized that Adobe CS6 isn't running as good as it did with Mavericks and the previous operating systems. For example, everytime I drag my canvas in Photoshop or Illustrator there's a kind of a 'lag'. It seems like I'm out of ram (I have 12Go on my iMac). It is also impossible to launch Acrobat X Pro. The software launches then automatically quit to ask me to validate the license agreement. Then relaunches and repeat this operation in loop. I precise that I have a legal Adobe license and that the software is up to date. These issues occur both on my iMac and my MacBook Air, both running a clean install of Yosemite. I also checked with my roommate who owned a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2013 with Yosemite, same issue with Photoshop CC for the canvas dragging.

Totally desperate I wanted to go back to Mavericks. Unfortunately I'm not using Time Machine to launch a backup and there's no way to download Mavericks anymore on the Mac app store. My only option was to buy a CD of Mountain Lion on apple.com and have no other choice but to wait a few days for the mail delivery. Yes that's right, mail delivery because even if you buy the software on the website there's no option to download it. You have to pay (even if I already had it in the past) AND wait to DOWNGRADE!!! Incredible!!!

I never encountered any issue with any new Mac OS X version in the past. Years after years I have the sad feeling that Apple cares more about iOS integrity and casual users than professionals. It is sad because OS X is usually very stable and just perfect for design (and other fields too). I really don't want to switch to Windows to use Adobe software properly. Honestly I don't care if Safari is much better than before (it was already good in Mavericks) or the fact that you can continue writing a message you started on your iPhone. A computer is also (and mainly) a working tool and as to be efficient for these tasks. What's the purpose of launching a new OS if its performances for work are worse than its predecessor? And the fact that Apple doesn't allow unsatisfied customers to downgrade is a real mistake. I regret to say that in this particular case downgrading is in fact upgrading, correct me if I'm wrong.

I know there's nothing I can do and I do believe that Yosemite is promising (in the future). But for now it looks more like a beta version and the fact that it's impossible to downgrade by simply downloading Mavericks from the app store is unacceptable...

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 9:01 PM

Hi Jayah,

I understand what you are saying about performance drops and somethings are working against you. The first being that you are running adobe cs6, which is intense software, now with an OS that also is demanding performance. I know cs6 does work on Yosemite because I have it on here so I can work with Encore. Also, the Air models are known for not having the best processors due to their light nature (I assume you have a 1.8 GHz processor). My advise is to search online for the Maverick OS download (I'm sure there is one out there) and downgrade or wait a little longer to see if performance improves. I had to wait a few days for my computer to sort stuff out and now it runs fine. My problem was that in the beginning the kernel task took 3.5GB of RAM but eventually leveled out. I hope some of this sheds some light on why you might be having difficulties.

-crazy

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2014 9:01 PM in response to Jayah81

Hi Jayah,

I understand what you are saying about performance drops and somethings are working against you. The first being that you are running adobe cs6, which is intense software, now with an OS that also is demanding performance. I know cs6 does work on Yosemite because I have it on here so I can work with Encore. Also, the Air models are known for not having the best processors due to their light nature (I assume you have a 1.8 GHz processor). My advise is to search online for the Maverick OS download (I'm sure there is one out there) and downgrade or wait a little longer to see if performance improves. I had to wait a few days for my computer to sort stuff out and now it runs fine. My problem was that in the beginning the kernel task took 3.5GB of RAM but eventually leveled out. I hope some of this sheds some light on why you might be having difficulties.

-crazy

Nov 7, 2014 3:29 PM in response to Crazygamer101

Hi guys, I am having the same problem with Yosemite and I am so frustrated and disappointed with Apple. I have a Mac Pro Laptop fully loaded and it is lagging massively in Photoshop. I never had this problem before the upgrade. I work as a Concept artists and Full-time Instructor . I can't even use the lasso tool without waiting for a second or two for it to start. Then sometimes it doesn't even start and the selection is null and void. Really...we are talking about the lasso tool. I haven't even started painting at 300 dpi yet.

This upgrade was a horrible decision. I am looking how to down grade to get my machine to work the way it did before!!! So frustrated and disappointed with Apple. I even run a lab at a local Southern California College campus with 75 Apple machines in 3 rooms and I am debating if I should upgrade to Apple again or not. I love Apple but these kinds of problems are ridiculous and extremely un-professional! This is not amateur hour Apple!So disappointed with Apple....I don't know what to do.

-Phil

Nov 8, 2014 9:35 AM in response to Jayah81

I'm running CS6 Design Standard on a 2011 27" iMac.

Had a few performance hiccups and Illustrator Crashes after upgrading from mavericks. I did not clean install.

First I reinstalled Yosemite using a bootable USB stick, then I uninstalled CS6 (including preferences) and reinstalled CS6 via DVD and updates via internet.

I also upgraded my Font manager, Suitcase to the latest version and dialed down the Autoactivate plugins to exclude fontsense and pick best match.

I then used ONYX (recently updated for 10.10) to clean all caches and all repairs/maintenance.

There was also a duplicate conflict between my Helvetica Neue postscript and System Helvetica Neue TT/OT version, which suitcase manages for me now.

Also had some 3rd party Illustrator plugins in need up available updates (Astute graphics).

After doing all this, and resetting my preferences and color profiles, all my CS 6 apps are working just as well as they were in Mavericks. PS, AI, ID and Acrobat are performing well together with large, complex files and lots of switching between them.

Try reinstalling 10.10 over your current and uninstall/reinstall CS6 like I did.

Good luck.

Nov 8, 2014 10:25 AM in response to Jayah81

Yosemite and Adobe seem to have a conflict. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements and was having the same issues (I couldn't move things and certain tools would not work.). It seems 100's of others also had that problem. Most people complained to Adobe and not Apple but it appears to be a Yosemite problem most specifically with the trackpad. Enough people complained to Adobe that they thankfully came up with 2 workarounds. the first was if you use the trackpad, try using a mouse (a usb mouse is best) -- that solved the issue with most people. Some people said that they were having the issue with the mouse as well (on iMacs etc) - a few days later, the Adobe IT team came up with a temporary plugin - once installed, 99.95% of the people were again able to use their Adobe programs. The Adobe techs have communicated with Apple and apparently Apple is working on a solution. Anyhow, I'd suggest that you install that plugin and just see if it works for your Adobe products - several people on the Adobe forums said that it did. Here is the response from Adobe that was on their forum - I hope it works for you:

Jeffrey Tranberry(Chief Customer Advocate) 4 days ago We sincerely apologize for the problem customers are facing while using a trackpad with Photoshop Elements 11 & 12 on Mac OSX 10.10 (Yosemite).

As we mentioned previously, we have been working with Apple to resolve this problem as quickly as possible. We're hopeful this will get completely resolved in an upcoming update.

In the meanwhile, you have two options to work around this problem:

1. Use a mouse instead of the trackpad
2. Install a plug-in which should workaround the problem

Plug-in installation instructions:

1. Close Photoshop Elements
2. Download
this zip file to a location you can easily find (e.g. your desktop)
3. Unzip the file, WhiteWindowWorkaround.plugin, and move it to the Plug-In folder:

• For Elements 12 – //Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 12/Support Files/Plug-Ins/
• For Elements 11 - //Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 11/Support Files/Plug-Ins/

You can verify the plug-in is installed by launching the Photoshop Elements Editor and choosing Help > System Info... Scroll to the bottom of the text in the dialog and look for the plug-in name "WhiteWindowWorkaround.plugin".

Note: This plugin is a temporary workaround and should be used until this issue is addressed in Mac OSX 10.10 (Yosemite). Be prepared to remove this plugin once the issue is officially resolved by Apple.

If you are using a stylus in conjunction with a trackpad, you might see issues with your trackpad. Workaround in this particular case is to use mouse instead of the trackpad.

Nov 13, 2014 12:36 PM in response to Jayah81

Finally I was able to get a copy of Mavericks. I created a bootable USB stick then did a Mavericks clean install on my iMac. Everything works now.

I also did reinstall Yosemite on my MacBook Air to do some more compatibility tests. Surprisingly Adobe CS6 softwares now seems to work perfectly on Yosemite. No more lag when dragging the canvas in Photoshop and Acrobat X Pro does not automatically close as it did previously. That's very strange as it didn't work before on both computers! I did some research on the Internet and it appears that some people encountered this problem while others don't. I'm too afraid to go back to Yosemite on the iMac for now as it is my work station. I think I'll wait for the release of 10.10.1.

Jan 19, 2015 12:55 AM in response to Vis Dev Phil

I totally agree. This is unprofessional... I have paid outrageously inflated prices [living in Australia] for the privilege of using Adobe products and what happens ? There is a german word for this verschlimmbessern meaning an improvement but not for the better. I cannot open illustrator CS6 in Yosemite and I need to for the job I am currently working on. I have uninstalled all my Adobe programs and reinstalled them. Seems to work for some but not all. Any ideas ?

Jan 31, 2015 11:11 PM in response to Jayah81

hey everyone.

this has solved the issue so far. you need to:

- make a dual boot on you HDD (Yosemite + Mavericks or any previous os that CS worked with) ***read footnote below

- have your CS products installed on Mavericks/Lion

- run them either directly from Mavericks/Lion or from Yosemite. Yes, the apps are accessible from Yosemite.

= enjoy Yosemite and CS6 program functionality.

***to have dual OS boot drive you need to

- partition HDD through disk utility

- press CMD+R during boot

- install (from scratch or from Time machine) older OS X. please note that if your Time machine has been affected by backup from Yosemite, you will have hard time.

p.s. here is an article abt making dual boots http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/dual-boot-yosemite-mavericks-on-ma c-3533305/

Feb 3, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Jayah81

I haven't had any problem running CS6 Design Web Premium on Yosemite. No clean installs - just ran the installer on two computers.

I'll be willing to wager that corrupt/wrong preferences are likely to be a factor.

It's always worth testing a new user account, to see whether the problem relates to user prefs.

There's no point emptying caches -- caches are all rebuilt when you install a new OS anyway.

Feb 22, 2015 7:02 AM in response to Jayah81

I took the dive into Yosemite last night and everything has worked ok until trying to make certain edits and saving files in Photoshop CS6.

I have no performance or crashing issues. However, some basic functionality within CS6 seems to have died. Examples are the patch tool and certain action-initiated adjustments such as hue/saturation. Topaz plug-ins are working fine, but CS6 itself is the issue. It's plain weird.

Worst of all is that I cannot seem to save either PSD or JPEG files of any progress made.

I held off 'upgrading' to 10.10 on the back of so many negative experiences registered at the App Store, but feedback had improved lately.

I suffered with Mavericks too in that I had Finder playing up on me and taking forever to discover my filing system. I wish I'd never upgraded from 10.7 from what seems like an eternity ago.

Before I head to my Time Machine I'll try an un-/re-install and see where that leaves me.

FYI - iMac 27" i5 mid-2011, 20GB RAM

Nov 17, 2016 9:55 AM in response to disorder_attempt

Apologies for the blast from the past, but just wanted to confirm…

So if I have multiple drives on my MacPro, I can keep the CS6 applications installed on the HDD running an earlier (OS X 10.7+) and then have a later OS X on a seperate boot HDD?

Would I then still be able to use and access the CS6 applications from the new OS X HDD? Any idea what newer version this works with, or is it just up to to OS X 10.10?

Nov 17, 2016 10:27 AM in response to dubtastic

I've been using Creative Suite 6 on Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra, with no bother whatsoever.

Yes, if you have multiple drives/partitions, you can boot to different OS versions and run CS6 there. If you launch it from another OS, then it might complain about not being installed properly, because the Application Support files and other components won't be on the system volume.

Yosemite and Adobe CS6 compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.