Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your connection is not private" error message

Someone borrowed my computer and changed a few things, and now when I try to go to certain sites (like my Visa account) on Chrome I get the following message:

User uploaded file

I'm using Chrome version 38.0.2125.111, and I can't access the site on Safari either. I have also had trouble loading images on certain sites sometimes. I'm not tech savvy at all, but I have done a bit of research and the certificate seems to be valid when I check the keychain access. My time and date are correct.

I'd be grateful for any advice, I'd rather not spend a bunch of money to take it in to the shop if it's something I can do myself.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 8:55 PM

18 replies

Dec 7, 2017 5:09 AM in response to jksk96

Your problem, hardware or software, may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Nov 6, 2014 11:28 PM in response to skapka

User uploaded file

Important information about Security Certificate:

Browsers only accept certificates signed by a trusted Certificate Authority (CA) without complaint. Self-signed certificates are a breach in the established “chain of trust” that starts with a recognized CA, whose own root level digital certificates are installed by default with all web browsers. Since self-signed certificates are neither signed by a CA nor pre-installed with browsers, they are flagged as untrusted (unsafe).

Apr 12, 2015 3:02 AM in response to skapka

Recently I downloaded Ad Blocker and then (9/Apr/15) Apple sent me a big update which I accepted. Then, I get the 'Your connection is not private' warning whenever I try to pay on ebay via Google Chrome and also via Safari and old Google, avoiding Chrome. I have tried disabling Ad Blocker but that makes no difference.

I have seen some silly looking fixes involving setting the clock to a fictitious date but that seems to be evading a genuine warning. What I really want to do is to get my ebay account to navigate to a valid version of the payment site.

Does anyone know a fix for this please?

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Ronan Point

OK, so it was the latest security update that gave me the private error on some of the sites using Chrome. Found online that if I go to Keychain, under certificates, delete all of the Verisign certificates and relaunch Chrome, it will fix the issue. Have tried it on a few computers that had the issue after the update and it definitely worked for me.

May 29, 2015 7:43 AM in response to skapka

The error “Your connection is not private. Attackers might be trying to steal your information from ….. (for example, password, messages, or credit cards)” in chrome is really very comman problem and most of the Google chrome users face this problem. The actual reason behind "Your connection is not private" is SSL connection error.

ZeroDollarTips.com has covered a detailed guide related to it which is titled as How to fix error “Your connection is not private” in Chrome. From there, you can get:

• What is “Your connection is not private” Error in Google Chrome?
  • Why “Your connection is not private” Error occurs in Google Chrome? and
  • 5 methods to Fix “Your connection is not private” Error in chrome

→ Check the Date and Time

Check the Antivirus Software

Clean Google Chrome Browser

Proceed to the Site

Prevent Warning

Read the full guide from here: http://www.zerodollartips.com/your-connection-is-not-private-chrome/

Oct 17, 2015 5:40 AM in response to skapka

Having not used my MacAir for many months, I got this message. This was my fix.

1. Selected the Chrome "Tools" menu (top right corner; 3 horizontal bars).

2. At the top was a notice my Chrome was outdated. I clicked on it and Chrome automatically updated.

3. The Chrome warning persisted when I attempted to go to Google

4. So, I pressed the power button and selected Restart.

Problem resolved.

Jun 17, 2016 3:35 AM in response to skapka

There are two major reasons can be caused the Your connection is not private error on your Google Chrome:

- wrong date and time

- antivirus / internet security blocked SSL connections

So there are two things you need to do:

- check and adjust the date and time of your computer or device if it's incorrect

- temporarily disable antivirus or internet security programs to check if it's the cause or not.

Jun 19, 2016 12:53 AM in response to tonytran998

There are two major reasons can be caused the Your connection is not private error on your Google Chrome:

- wrong date and time

- antivirus / internet security blocked SSL connections

So there are two things you need to do:

- check and adjust the date and time of your computer or device if it's incorrect

- temporarily disable antivirus or internet security programs to check if it's the cause or not.

Edit: Just update with the right link, the previous link was broken.

"Your connection is not private" error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.