Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does it say I have no storage to take photos and I have 7.4 gb of photos if I only have 14 photos?

I have a ipod touch 5 gen and it's on ios8 and it says I have 1,503 photos and max capacity if I only have 14 photos??? Please help me!

iPod touch, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Nov 2, 2014 7:03 PM

9 replies

Nov 2, 2014 7:41 PM in response to SplendaChan

with iOS 8.0.2 there was an error where all of your photos did not show, but they were taking up space on iOS devices. do you belong to any shared photo streams (photos>shared in the bottom middle)? if so, that is technically the number of photos on your device but the ones in shared don't consume space (or a significant amount) To make sure there aren't any hidden photos, plug your iPod into a computer and either iPhoto or image capture (mac) or window's default photo program will show you the true number

also keep in mind 3 more things:

1. go to settings>general>about to get some more info on your device AND settings>general>usage to see whats taking up what. 2. Apps like dropbox, one drive, whatsapp, all require their own space that will never show up in settings as taking up space. Check out your apps.

3. As a last resort, you may just have to wipe the iPod clean to indefinitely free up all your space. Apps you can always re-download in your purchase history in the App Store and music/photos you can always sync back over.

Nov 3, 2014 1:18 AM in response to SplendaChan

Connect the iPod to your computer and look at the storage used by the various categories as shown in the colored bargarph in iTunes.

Come back with the results.

An "other" larger than about 1 1/2 GB indicates corrupted files.

What is the Other on my iPhone and How to Remove It

What is "Other" and What Can I Do About It?

Next, usually restoring from backup eliminated the corrupted files. However, sometimes restoring to factory settings/new iPod is required.

To restore from backup see:

iOS: How to back up

To restore to factory settings/new iPod see:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

Nov 3, 2014 11:51 PM in response to SplendaChan

Hey SplendaChan, 1.98G isn't bad, maybe a little high but not bad. Some "other" is just that, other data; background info for apps, legal crap you have to agree to, cookies, history info / data, data within apps, etc. you can never get rid of all the other. The more apps, music, books, photos, etc. you have on your device the more other you will gain, and the more likely your will get a corrupted file(s). It's just when it gets over 4-5G then you most likely have a corrupt file(s). Most common way this occurs, is something loads incorrectly or develops a glitch, gets pushed into other and loading process starts over and continues. It's nothing you have done, it just happens from time to time. Cleaning up you device from time to time helps, i.e. remove unused apps, close unused apps, clearing histories and cookies, keep your device current, etc., all will help. Good luck, Cheers.

Nov 4, 2014 12:39 AM in response to SplendaChan

OMG GUYS! I USED IEXPLORER AND DELETED ALL OF MY PHOTOS USING THAT (I BACKED IT UP FIRST) AND NOW MY IPOD SAYS I HAVE 7.8 GB FREE! YAY!

For some reason, my ipod was still storing my deleted pics and videos!

Here is the link for anyone else with my problem!.

http://iexplorer-support.macroplant.com/customer/portal/articles/1325738-how-to- delete-all-photos-from-an-iphone-or-ipad

Mar 5, 2015 10:03 AM in response to SplendaChan

I managed to get rid of the phantom usage. Restoring iPhone and resetting the phone settings/data do not work for me.

I had to move the Date on my phone earlier by 1,2,3 months and found the phantom photos in the Recently Deleted Folder. Next, I deleted the photos manually from the Recently Deleted Folder and the usage got freed up from my iPhone.

Hope this works for you

Why does it say I have no storage to take photos and I have 7.4 gb of photos if I only have 14 photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.