Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod classic connecting and ejecting immediatly after usb plug in

I have a ipod classic MB565LL that works in all way except connecting through the usb. When I plug in the usb display says connected then almost immediately. says that it is ejected. this happens using any computer or cable combination. All cables will charge the unit from all computers (MAC OS 6.1.4 and PC Win7) and wall chargers. Went thorough all manual testing and based on the posts in the forum the specs seem to be in the normal range. When using the auto test it seems to hang on HP Diagnostics.

Any ideas? I would like to save the music as the computer that it was associated with is long gone before doing a DFU.

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 4:55 PM

I had the same problem. I use iPod classic 160 GB and windows 8.1. I've tried many ways e.g. hard reset, DFU, even change the USB cable, but it didn't work.

But now I've found the solution. I checked control panel---> Devices and printers and found my iPod, it was shown as "Apple iPod device" then clicked "properties" and my iPod was shown as "disable". So I clicked "enable" then it was detectable by my PC and can be sync.

Sorry for my poor English, but I hope it would help you.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2015 4:55 PM in response to suburbanspaceman

I had the same problem. I use iPod classic 160 GB and windows 8.1. I've tried many ways e.g. hard reset, DFU, even change the USB cable, but it didn't work.

But now I've found the solution. I checked control panel---> Devices and printers and found my iPod, it was shown as "Apple iPod device" then clicked "properties" and my iPod was shown as "disable". So I clicked "enable" then it was detectable by my PC and can be sync.

Sorry for my poor English, but I hope it would help you.

Nov 3, 2014 3:25 PM in response to suburbanspaceman

When I plug in the usb display says connected then almost immediately. says that it is ejected.

If the iPod is set up to use automatic syncing (not the manually manage method), that may be normal. iTunes initially mounts the iPod's disk (upon connection); if there is nothing new to sync, iTunes quickly unmounts the iPod's disk. The iPod's screen shows it is connecting, but then disconnects after a few seconds. However, the iPod continues to appear in iTunes, under Devices (or the device button for iTunes 12), as long as it is physically connected to the Mac.

What is the actual problem...? Does the iPod not appear in iTunes when connected? Is it not recognized at all, by iTunes or the Mac? Or do you want to offload the iPod's song files to the Mac, and you don't know how to do that?

Nov 3, 2014 5:03 PM in response to suburbanspaceman

If you have many USB devices connected, there may be a conflict between connected devices. Or there may be a lack of power on the USB bus when the iPod is connected. As a test, I would shut down (power off) the Mac and disconnect all USB devices (including any hubs). You can leave standard keyboard/mouse connected, if used. Do this to Reset the iPod

Reset your iPod - Apple Support

Start up the Mac, run iTunes, and connect iPod to a direct USB port on the Mac.

If that does not help, you can try putting the iPod into Disk Mode.

Putting iPod into Disk Mode - Apple Support

When connected in Disk Mode, iTunes may prompt you to do a Restore. Cancel out of doing that because you don't want to erase the iPod's hard drive at this point. If the iPod now connects to the Mac (appears as a mounted volume), you can try using one of the third-party methods or utilities to offload content from the iPod (not using iTunes).

Nov 3, 2014 5:29 PM in response to suburbanspaceman

So the iPod reacts in the same way when it's in Disk Mode?

If so, with all the other tests you've done with combinations of computers, cables, and iTunes installations, I think the problem is on the iPod. You can't access the content because the iPod's hard drive does get to the point of mounting. If you are willing to take it apart, you may be able to access the hard drive (assuming it is not the faulty component), by putting it in an external drive case. I believe your iPod is a "Classic" model, so this is an example of a case that would work

http://www.amazon.com/1-8-inch-Enclosure-Toshiba-Connector-Assorted/dp/B001OYCJH I

If the hard drive is accessible in the case, you can try to recover its songs files. This web site has illustrated guides for taking an iPod apart

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Original

There are also numerous YouTube videos on the topic.

ipod classic connecting and ejecting immediatly after usb plug in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.