Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS8 doesn't render CSS box shadows correctly

According to an article at "caniuse", iOS7.1, 8, and 8.1 are supposed to support the CSS3 property box-shadow. However, I have an html file to which I could direct you which shows that this is not the case. The file I have is simple-minded, containing CSS only for the box-shadow in question. When presented in iOS8 Safari, no box-shadow is rendered. When presented in MacOS Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or Opera, the box-shadow is rendered correctly. Is this (and are other) iOS8 CSS3 limitations documented?

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 8

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 7:03 AM

19 replies

Nov 3, 2014 9:13 AM in response to F J Poblam

What happens if you rotate the iPad to Portrait view?

Seems to me its more of a rendering glitch in Landscape view, than anything else. Because looking at your picture, I can make out the shadow on the right side, but its almost as if its covered by something on the bottom.

I can also recreate the issue here by rotating the iPhone to landscape view. Then the shadows are not displayed. Again almost like they are being covered up by something.

It may be best to submit a bug report at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Select Bug Report as the feedback type there.

Nov 3, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Phil0124

You're right. In portrait it seems to render correctly. However, it is my impression (mistaken?) that the majority of iPad users go for landscape. Even lots of cases (including Apple's) favor propping up the iPad in landscape mode for habitual work. I certainly do so. The iPad is my main squeeze these days. I use it even for website development and maintenance! And graphics. I'll file that bug. Thanks for your kind and patient attention. And thanks for the link.

Dec 4, 2014 8:24 AM in response to F J Poblam

I'm having a similar problem on iPhone 6 Plus.

Decided to dig into it and discovered that multiple box shadows does not seem to be supported. Explicitly:

box-shadow: 0 -12px 0 0 #000000; ==> makes one shadow

box-shadow: 0 12px 0 0 #000000; ==> makes one shadow

box-shadow: 0 -12px 0 0 #000000, 0 12px 0 0 #000000; ==> makes no shadows

Dec 5, 2014 4:41 AM in response to Phil0124

I tried a separate test like you with only these shadow styles. I can confirm that the zooming is flaky, you can watch the lines flicker in and out while pinching, and depending when you stop they may be visible or not in the end.

I retried testing the single shadow styles with this method. I assumed this was a problem with multiple shadows on one element, like I originally posted, but nope! The single shadows are also flaky and can be made invisible with zooming.

iOS8 doesn't render CSS box shadows correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.