Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Ipod Touch won't charge in Bose Sounddock

My IPod Touch won't charge in my Bose Sound Dock. My IPod classic does however the Touch will not. I get a message stating:

Charging is not supported with this accessory

Dismiss

Why does it work with my IPod Classic and not my Touch?

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 1:05 PM

Yes, I believe that it did charge in the docking station before. However, I have mostly used the docking station with my IPod Classic. But what difference would that make?...

A lot.

That seems to be odd if the docking station is not compatible with my Touch but is with my Classic. As stated, the Touches plays through the docking station how would it not be compatible?

• In the early days, iPods were charged with 12 volts. I think this was the old Firewire days. (That's correct, isn't it lllaass?)
  • Then, later iPods could be charged by either 12 volts, or the newer 5 volt USB voltage. Your Classic can be charged by either the 12 volt supply, or the 5 volt USB supply.
  • Later iPods can only be charged by the USB 5 volt supply. Your Touch can only be charged by a 5 volt supply.
  • Your Bose Docking Station supplies only 12 volts, so it can charge the Classic, but not your Touch. (Later models of Bose Docking station do charge with 5 volt supply.)

• My Bose Docking station will charge my iPod Classic, but it will not charge my 2nd generation Touch.
  • I also own the Klispch RoomGroove docking station. Well, two of them actually. (No, this isn't a brag, read on!)

The Klipsch was available around the time that Apple dropped 12 volt charging on iPods. So Klipsch recalled the RoomGroove from the shops and modified it so that it could charge iPods using the 5 volt supply. My two Klipsch's, model name "RoomGroove", look identical, but in in fact different. One can charge the iPod Touch. the other one cannot.

By the way, I have an adaptor fitted to my my car stereo so that I can plug the iPod into it. This adaptor can charge the Classic, but not the Touch - for the same reason, the adaptor supplies only 12 volts, which is no use to the iPod Touch.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2014 1:05 PM in response to tdehan

Yes, I believe that it did charge in the docking station before. However, I have mostly used the docking station with my IPod Classic. But what difference would that make?...

A lot.

That seems to be odd if the docking station is not compatible with my Touch but is with my Classic. As stated, the Touches plays through the docking station how would it not be compatible?

• In the early days, iPods were charged with 12 volts. I think this was the old Firewire days. (That's correct, isn't it lllaass?)
  • Then, later iPods could be charged by either 12 volts, or the newer 5 volt USB voltage. Your Classic can be charged by either the 12 volt supply, or the 5 volt USB supply.
  • Later iPods can only be charged by the USB 5 volt supply. Your Touch can only be charged by a 5 volt supply.
  • Your Bose Docking Station supplies only 12 volts, so it can charge the Classic, but not your Touch. (Later models of Bose Docking station do charge with 5 volt supply.)

• My Bose Docking station will charge my iPod Classic, but it will not charge my 2nd generation Touch.
  • I also own the Klispch RoomGroove docking station. Well, two of them actually. (No, this isn't a brag, read on!)

The Klipsch was available around the time that Apple dropped 12 volt charging on iPods. So Klipsch recalled the RoomGroove from the shops and modified it so that it could charge iPods using the 5 volt supply. My two Klipsch's, model name "RoomGroove", look identical, but in in fact different. One can charge the iPod Touch. the other one cannot.

By the way, I have an adaptor fitted to my my car stereo so that I can plug the iPod into it. This adaptor can charge the Classic, but not the Touch - for the same reason, the adaptor supplies only 12 volts, which is no use to the iPod Touch.

Nov 3, 2014 8:09 AM in response to tdehan

Is it a 5G iPod?

Does the iPod play on the dock?

Did it work/charge before?

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

If still problem, make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it appears you have a hardware problem r the dock is not compatible with your model iPod and is iOS version.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Nov 3, 2014 8:22 AM in response to lllaass

No, it's the 80G Touch

Yes, the Touch plays in the docking station

Yes, I believe that it did charge in the docking station before. However, I have mostly used the docking station with my IPod Classic. But what difference would that make?

No bent or missing contacts or foreign material etc.

Nov 3, 2014 8:56 AM in response to tdehan

BOSE does not mention anything that I can find about iOS versions. My Touch says that it is up to date with 6.1.6. The BOSE website does say that the docking station with the connector I have will work.

I have also Reset the IPod and gone to Settings and also Reset All. Still the same issue.

My Ipod Touch won't charge in Bose Sounddock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.