Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1 - Ignores Completely Personal Hotspot and Password - Anyone Can Connect

Hi There...

This is troublesome for me..

iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.1

My Personal Hotspot is set to Off.

On my Mac (Yosemite) Clicking the WI-FI Menu Bar Icon, I have in the list of Personal Hotspots, the iPhone 6 Plus. But on the iPhone its Personal Hotspot is Switched off.

OK. So I select the iPhone 6 Plus in the list (although it should not be there) just to see what happens.

1) The WIFI icon starts moving.

2) Magically my iPhone 6 Plus turns on its Personal Hotspot all by itself

3) My Mac Connects to the Personal Hotspot - and NEVER once asks me for the password which I have given the Personal Hotspot on the Phone.

4) I am now browsing on my Mac - via the Personal Hotspot of the iPhone 6 Plus - which I never enabled nor had to enter a password for.

I don't know whether this is standard but it sure smells like something is wrong to me.

Please Advise

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 9:26 AM

That is the Instant Hotspot feature. Yes, it's working as designed. But, and this is the important part, it only works if both devices are logged into the same Apple ID.

5 replies

Mar 29, 2015 8:30 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Wow!!! I just had a similar fright when I set up my new air2. It went straight onto phone 6 hotspot with password request and then I found it did the same back to my older phone 4s. But yes they are all logged to the same account. Sure hope it does not work for others. So even if I change the hotspot password on the new phone will the pad still pick it up automatically?

Mar 30, 2015 12:01 AM in response to mignonfromherveybay

mignonfromherveybay wrote:

Wow!!! I just had a similar fright when I set up my new air2. It went straight onto phone 6 hotspot with password request and then I found it did the same back to my older phone 4s. But yes they are all logged to the same account. Sure hope it does not work for others. So even if I change the hotspot password on the new phone will the pad still pick it up automatically?

Yes, it should.

iOS 8.1 - Ignores Completely Personal Hotspot and Password - Anyone Can Connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.