Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.0.1.26 DOES NOT WORK with Windows 7

Every time I start iTunes, I get the Windows message "iTunes has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop"...blah, blah, blah.

Faulting application name: iTunes.exe, version: 12.0.1.26, time stamp: 0x543e558b

Faulting module name: objc.dll, version: 1.528.0.120, time stamp: 0x5400227d

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00006be4

Faulting process id: 0x1248

Faulting application start time: 0x01cff77ff878188c

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\objc.dll

Report Id: 395a674d-6373-11e4-9a7e-180373cb2632

This has been happening for a long time, spanning several versions of iTunes, and I've been searching everywhere for the answer. I have spoken to both Apple and Microsoft support on the phone and I've posted error logs and Appcrash events on blogs, forums, and TechNet and have gotten nowhere. I've reset paths, caches, and uninstalled/re-installed (as admin) in a specific sequence (while standing on one leg with one arm behind my back and crossing my fingers), but nothing has helped.

Apple blames Microsoft and Microsoft blames Apple, but NOBODY is doing anything to fix it. I have 5 iPads, 4 iPhones, and several iPods and I'm going to have to re-sync everyone of them because I can no longer run iTunes on this PC.

The problem lies hidden somewhere behind Apple's OBJC.DLL and it is my personal opinion that iTunes is trying to access a file that Microsoft locked down after the Duqu vulnerability. I have no way to trace and prove that though, so if anyone has any ideas or fixes...PLEASE HELP!

iPhone 5, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 10:09 AM

19 replies

Nov 3, 2014 11:10 AM in response to srahoosier

Apologies if you've seen it all before, but you haven't explicitly mentioned deleting various folders before trying to reinstall.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Nov 25, 2014 12:42 PM in response to turingtest2

I've been through all of these troubleshooting steps, and none of them even identify the problem, much less fix it. Why would it just stop working unless something was changed in the last update, or unless Microsoft's latest batch of fix-its changed a permission. Microsoft still proclaims that it's Apple's responsibility to make their product compatible, and Apple says that there's nothing wrong with iTunes. I'm stuck with Windows 7, so unless I want to go buy a Mac or move all my data to a home PC and recreating my library I won't be using iTunes.

Nov 25, 2014 12:52 PM in response to srahoosier

I have iTunes 12 running happily on several Window 7/64 boxes so it can work, and in general I'm sure it works for most. Why it isn't working for you is the mystery. A fair number of problems that can be tied to a specific .dll file can be resolved by removing that file and then repairing the component it is part of, which in this case would be Apple Application Support. I presume you have tried that?

tt2

Nov 25, 2014 1:32 PM in response to srahoosier

Yes, I got that you'd torn everything down and rebuilt from scratch. Nevertheless it might still be worth trying the specific steps now of deleting C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\objc.dll and then repairing AAS. It probably won't work, but at least you will have tried it. I presume you are running 32 bit Windows 7 given the file paths. I take it iTunes won't start in iTunes safe mode either.

tt2

Nov 27, 2014 6:35 AM in response to turingtest2

I did try that again, just to say I did even though that couldn't be the issue. Having read every forum that even suggests a fix and trying almost all of them, I'm at the point where attempting any of these fixes is just repeating the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result. It's kind of crazy that Apples "support" documentation suggest uninstalling all their programs in a particular order, then reinstalling. Shouldn't the installer take care of that? I've had iTunes crash issues with previous versions and I've lived with it, restarting the program and even the computer when necessary, but there's nothing to "live with" anymore. Since "upgrading" to the iTunes 12.0.1.26 opening the program always has the same:

...checking library

...iTunes window appears

...iTunes has stopped working

windows is checking for a solution...

...iTunes has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

The error report has been sent to Microsoft and to Apple by myself and several others, but neither of them deem it necessary to identify or fix the issue. We can discuss it all day in the forums, but until technical support from one or both of these companies looks into their program(s) nothing will change. Apple has spent so much time programming/changing iTunes to lock down devices, that they are almost unusable, so what's the point of having an iPhone or iTunes?

I know Apple is a huge company and I'm only one small customer, but I have spent thousands of $$ on their products. I (and my family) have 2 active iPhones, 5 iPads, and many different iPods. My library contains 12,000+ songs, 3500 books, and various other items, but apparently the money I've spent, not to mention the time I've invested managing all these devices and media is a drop in the bucket and unimportant to them. If I weren't so stubborn, I would have agreed with dfromnfld a long time ago, but I'm to the point now where I'm going to start investing my time and energy in converting my library to work with a Windows or Android device.

okay...rant over...lol

still nothing solved though

iTunes 12.0.1.26 DOES NOT WORK with Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.