Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 iOS 8.1 lock screen frozen, cannot shutdown

My wife's iPhone 5 phone, since we upgraded to iOS 8 and now iOS 8.1, has been having a multitude of issues. Today, the home screen has now completely LOCKED and the phone cannot be shutdown.

I have hard reset (home/lock button) multiple times and the screen is still locked. I cannot RESTORE the phone because Find My iPhone is turned on and can't be turned off. I can't DFU or put in Recovery mode because the phone will not shut off.

We live over an hour from an Apple store and I am gone the rest of the week traveling so really need a crack on how to get the phone to shut off or have a way to force a restore. Any thoughts? thank you in advance.

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 12:45 PM

"I cannot RESTORE the phone because Find My iPhone is turned on and can't be turned off."

Why can't turn off FindMyiPhone?

21 replies

Nov 14, 2014 8:35 PM in response to MRK99

If the screen freezes and you can't get the phone to do anything, try restarting it by pushing both the home button and the power button on top at the same time. Hold them both until the screen turns black and you see a white Apple logo in the middle of the screen. Release the buttons and wait until the iPhone comes back on. Your phone should work normally at this point. Restarting your phone solves most minor problems on the first try.

Nov 25, 2014 9:43 AM in response to MRK99

My software is current, and am wondering if the software could be the problem.

This just happened to me as well, and thankfully the home/reset worked the first time.

My screen was completely locked-could not use the slider, the battery level showed 53%, and the normal shut down would not work.

No problems before.

Once I did the hard reset, the battery charge appeared accurately, at 100%, and the screens returned to normal.

Hope this is not a continuing problem.

iPhone 5 iOS 8.1 lock screen frozen, cannot shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.