Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since I downloaded Apple's latest operating system, whenever I try to open Illustrator I get a message that I need to install legacy Java SE6 runtime and to click "more info" to do this. When I click "more info" I get a blank window. What should I do

Since I downloaded Apple's latest operating system, whenever I try to open Illustrator I get a message that I need to install legacy Java SE6 runtime and to click "more info" to do this. When I click "more info" I get a blank window. What should I do

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2014 7:58 PM

You are running what version of OS X? Your profile shows Leopard.

7 replies

Nov 6, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Kappy

Hi,

I had the same problem after upgrading to Yosemite. Illustrator CS6 wouldn't open. I got a message saying I should 'install legacy Java SE6 runtime'.

The link didn't work - it lead to a blank page.

So I downloaded Java8 (latest version) from Oracle but didn't install it. Something told me this was not the right way to go (the problem was with Java SE6, not 8). I then called Apple (in the Netherlands, were I live) for help. I got none. The best they could do was blaming Adobe for the problem or me, for not having the latest Adobe CC app. Rubbish.

And then, magic. I tried to open Illustrator again, got the pop up message but this time the link worked. It took me to an official Apple page, with a link to download Java for OS X 2014-001. The problem is now solved.

If curious, this is the explanation Apple gives for the problem:

'Java for OS X 2014-001 includes installation improvements, and supersedes all previous versions of Java for OS X. This package installs the same version of Java 6 included in Java for OS X 2013-005. On systems that have not already installed Java for OS X 2012-006 or later, this update disables the Java SE 6 applet plug-in. To use applets on a web page, click on the region labeled 'missing plug-in' to download the latest version of the Java applet plug-in from Oracle.'

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6133 for more details about this update.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 for information about the security content of this update.

---------------

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.