Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app on macbook doesn't show contact names on left side bar, only contact tel

im using my macbook pro w/ Yosemite to send and receive text messages from my iphone with ios8.1

none of my contact's names are showing up in the sidebar on the left. only there telephone numbers.

they are already saved contacts in my iphone AND my macbook contact lists. anybody have a fix for this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10), iphone 5s w/ iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 4, 2014 2:04 AM

10 replies

Dec 27, 2015 7:07 AM in response to louieprocopio

I THINK I HAVE A SOLUTION!

so i tried each and every recommendation above and couldn't get it to work (though i do think that doing all of them is necessary)

i couldn't get any names to show on my messages app on my computer, but i realized i also didn't have any contacts in my contacts app (on my computer) i figured this was the main issue...so I went into the contacts area on my iphone (clicked the green phone icon on the lower left of the home screen, clicked contacts on the bottom of the next screen and then clicked "groups" in the upper left. from the "Groups" screen, i grabbed the screen and pulled down so that my groups would refresh. then on my computer, i closed and reopened my contacts app and every contact began to load. now my messages app on my computer has names on the left side.

this may have only worked for me because my computer is brand new and the contacts had yet to sync, but i hope it helps!

Apr 30, 2016 3:04 PM in response to louieprocopio

I had to make sure that Google and iCloud (which both have contacts info for me) were enabled under Systems Preferences > Internet Accounts with the Contacts option checked. Then I opened Contacts app and went to preferences. For some reason, under the Accounts tab the checkbox to enable each of those accounts was not checked. I checked them and the information started syncing immediately. And then they appeared in my Messages app as well.

Sep 26, 2016 11:31 AM in response to louieprocopio

I finally figured it out!

There are lots of reasons as to why the contact info isn't showing up in your messages app, everyone's problem being unique to their computer and situation. Hopefully, my answer reaches out to the people stuck in the same hole that I was in.

To get started, hook up your iPhone to your laptop or desktop via USB port etc.

On your computer, open System Preferences, click Internet Accounts, and select iCloud on the left-hand side. This should open up some options and boxes to be checked on the right. Hover over Contacts and make sure it's selected.

On your iPhone, now, go to Settings, scroll down to iCloud, and if you haven't done so yet, register your iCloud account. After registering, scroll down your iCloud account info to the Contacts bar. Turn it on. Once on, this will merge all your contact info on your iPhone with the contact app on your laptop or desktop via iCloud.

Hope this helped!

Messages app on macbook doesn't show contact names on left side bar, only contact tel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.