Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to care for MacBook's battery?

Hello,

I've just bought a new MacBook Pro after having an iMac for years so am not hugely used to using laptops. Please could you give me some advice about how to keep the battery in optimum condition? I know someone who is an IT technician and they said that you should only use a laptop without the power cord as the constant charging and discharging can affect battery life; he said that I should charge the battery to 100% then let it discharge to about 15% before plugging it in and not use it until it charges to 100% again to prolong the battery's life (just like you would with an iPhone or iPad). What do you think - is it OK to use the MacBook for long periods of time while plugged in and/or would it be OK to use it whilst charging up from 15% or should I follow the above advice?

Thanks!

Oliver

Posted on Nov 4, 2014 12:04 PM

4 replies

Nov 4, 2014 12:08 PM in response to oliver.s

oliver.s wrote:

Hello,

I'- is it OK to use the MacBook for long periods of time while plugged in and/or would it be OK to use it whilst charging up from 15% or should I follow the above advice?

I do use it principally connected to AC but monthly I will use it under battery alone to about the 40% charge level. The I reconnect to AC.

Here are Apple battery articles that will tell you all you ever want to know about Apple batteries and things you don't want to know about Apple batteries:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/batteries_power/

Ciao.

Dec 10, 2014 12:00 PM in response to marty757

If the battery is fully charged then removing AC power does nothing because the computer will continue to run on the battery until the battery is either depleted or re-charged. Based on your remark I don't think you've read the articles very closely.

What is it you think you need to "specifically" know? I told you that you can leave it plugged in continuously without damage to the battery. One of the articles informs you that you do need to use the battery occasionally so that it maintains its useful life. What more?

How to care for MacBook's battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.