Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari doesn't work after Yosemite install

I've recently installed Yosemite in my iMac*. Everything works as supposed except for Safari. Every time the computer wakes from sleep Safari does NOT work at all. It doesn't load any site. The only solution so far is to restart the iMac.

any clues?

* 27-inch, Late 2009, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Posted on Nov 4, 2014 11:52 AM

7 replies

Nov 4, 2014 6:58 PM in response to jark

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Nov 9, 2014 7:21 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have the same problem with my MacBook Air. After waiting on hold for an hour to talk to someone at Apple, we went through various attempts to fix the problem, including removing some preferences from the system file, running in safe mode as you suggest above, and nothing fixed the issue. It is strange because my Chrome browser works fine, but Safari and related Apple programs, such as the App Store that apparently rely upon the same connection paths as Safari don't work. A temporary fix that only works until the computer is shut down is running the sudo launchctl unload command to unload the Launch Daemon com.apple.discovery.plist. Once I unload and load that Launch Daemon, Safari and all of the other programs work until the next restart. I tried a reinstall of Yosemite from the disc utility page (i.e. Command + R on restart) and that didn't fix a thing.

This is obviously a widespread problem, as I see complaints about it on countless websites including Apple's website. I waited a few weeks to upgrade my laptop exactly to avoid this. I knew that at launch the OS would be very buggy as almost every Apple release in the past few years has been, but I had hoped more than a month after release they would have gotten the bugs out.

Apple hasn't fixed the problem yet, I'm screwed, and I suggest that anyone who hasn't made the mistake in upgrading, stick with Mavericks for now, as Apple has a lot of work to do before Yosemite is safe.

Nov 9, 2014 10:06 PM in response to pki730

Hi pki730. Thanks for sharing what's happening to you.

I haven't fixed the issue still, but for now I can live with the following "solution": If Safari does nothing, simply turn off Wi-fi, and turn it back on,...as soon as i do that, it works.

I know is not a proper solution and a pain, but at least better than having to restart all the time!

Nov 10, 2014 2:41 AM in response to jark

Thank you jark! I have had the same issue on my MacBook pro since installing Yosemite. Safari would suddenly refuse to load pages after sleep. I had tried everything from deleting cache to turning off IPv6 and many time-consuming restarts. But at least for now, your suggestion of turning off and then on Wi-Fi seems to work. Brilliant!

Nov 10, 2014 4:40 AM in response to stewcamp

Thanks for the suggestion jark. I had tried that and a lot of similarly obvious stuff before posting and it doesn't work for me. The only temporary solution i have found is unloading and then loading a particular Daemon using the terminal window. It works like a charm but I need to re enter the commands every time I restart the laptop, which is a nuisance and not something I should have to deal with

Safari doesn't work after Yosemite install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.