Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

data roaming off, cell data off, yet being charged!!!

For the second time in the last two months I have experienced this issue: With cellular data roaming turned OFF and then even cellular data turned OFF, when visiting the US (I'm based in Canada) I get a message that I am now "using data" at a special rate. The first time this happened, immediately on my return to Canada I contacted my cell provider (FIDO, owned by Rogers) and asked about it. They weren't very concerned, and told me that when I receive my bill, if there are any charges that I don't agree with, I should call them.

That bill came in early last week. Sure enough I was charged $4.99 as a "special" rate for roaming data PLUS another $6 for some text messages I'd sent. The Fido people couldn't explain what had happened, and suggested that I had NOT turned off data roaming. But absolutely positively without question, I had turned it off. They were nice enough to credit me the amount anyway. They told me that if it ever happens again, I should call them immediately from the States and they would check what was going on.

Over Saturday night until Monday afternoon I was again in the States. I turned off data roaming first, and then also turned off cellular data completely BEFORE LEAVING CANADA. I did not use the phone to make/receive phone calls. I stayed in hotels with WiFi and I did use that. No problem Saturday night, and none on Sunday morning, even though I had heavily used the WiFi. I packed up my gear (I ride a motorcycle and can NOT use the phone for anything while I'm riding) and toured around the Adirondacks in upper NY State for hours on Sunday. When I got to my hotel Sunday night and checked into my hotel, when I got to my room I took the iPhone out of my pocket and found a message from Fido stating, "You're using data at our exclusive promo rate of $4.99/day (+ tax)! You get up to 50mb of data to use over 24 hrs...."

I immediately called Fido to have them check and they were totally unsympathetic, and suggested that I had NOT turned off data roaming. Yet I HAD!!! Plus I had turned off cellular data completely. Fido suggested that if I "think" I'd turned it off, then there must be a "data leak" in the iPhone and it was Apple's problem and not Fido's. I replied that I had bought the phone FROM Fido (I have a corporate account with them and several phones) and that Fido was my cell provider. They replied that they don't make the phone and that I need to contact Apple about this. They also indicated that they would not be crediting me for any data roaming charges. SIGH

Searching the Internet turned up lots of similar stories/complaints. The threads I found here about the issue all appear to be from back in 2012, and are now locked. So I'm posting this message.

My phone is an iPhone 5 with 64gb. iOS 8.1. The first occurrence of this issue, back at the end of September was (I THINK) with the first release of iOS 8.0. Prior to that, I'd often been in the States and had never experienced this before. I always turn data roaming turned off then also.

What can possibly be done???

Posted on Nov 4, 2014 1:06 PM

19 replies

Feb 6, 2018 9:15 AM in response to William-47

This is happening to me now with Vodafone ( Portugal to be specific). I currently on vacation in Bangkok and my phone is doing this, ALL data and roaming off.

15€ flew in 3 days, without making a single freaking call/text/data usage. It only stops charging when my SIM card has reached 0 of credit (prepaid), at least it doesn’t go negative.

I now understand that every time the phone boots, it tries to send a text message, probably related with iMessage ( even when desactivated) because I’m getting a warning saying that it’s not possible to send the message due to low credit. The same happens ocasional every 2/3 hours and also overnight.

Network suggests nothing except for a temporary block, which is not ideal if I want to pull data for an emergency.

Could this be related to the network selection option? Anyone else with this?

Nov 4, 2014 1:23 PM in response to Eldor

Ae you sure that you're not being charged the $4.99 to be allowed to roam at a lower cost? My carrier in the U.S. has a feature that costs about that much that will lower my voice/texting costs while traveling abroad. It's called the "International Value Plan". Data roaming is generally much, much more expensive than that.

If it's a feature, it should be something that Fido can turn off so that, the next time you travel abroad, and turn off all of your data, you won't be charged that. It sounds as if you may have to escalate this with Fido.

Best of luck.

Nov 4, 2014 1:32 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes I'm sure.

I'm USING DATA even though everything that should be is turned off. And I'm being charged $4.99 for 50mb of data. Sure that's not a lot of money, but I should not be charged anything because I have data roaming turned off and cellular data turned off. Plus Fido tells me the problem is with Apple and that there is a cellular data leak in the software. And I'm being charged that on both my iPhone and iPad.

A simple web search shows that this is a very common problem. And users like myself are caught in the middle, between the cell providers and Apple.

Nov 4, 2014 1:37 PM in response to Eldor

Eldor wrote:

Yes I'm sure.

I'm USING DATA even though everything that should be is turned off. And I'm being charged $4.99 for 50mb of data.

It sounds, again, as if you have a feature where, for $4.99, your carrier is allowing you 50 mb of data roaming, whether you use it or not. My carrier charges me $25/ 100 mg of data (if I request that feature) when I travel to Canada. I would be charged that $25 whether or not I used the data. I could turn the phone off and leave it at home and, if I had that feature on my account, would be charged for it in that billing period.

Nov 4, 2014 2:08 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

KiltedTim and Meg...

That is NOT the case!!! Please believe me! Fido IS charging me for USING DATA, and indeed the phone reports that I am using data, EVEN THOUGH everything that should be turned off IS turned off.

I do NOT have any kind of roaming and specifically not a data roaming plan. FIDO confirms that I do not have such a plan and that I AM using data, even though I think I'm not. They claim there is a cellular data leak somewhere in the Apple software and that I need to talk to Apple.

In addition, I usually get (and DID get on Saturday night) a message from Fido that says, "Remember, we have Travel Packs starting as low as $20. To view or purchase one, rely "PACK".... etc. etc." Then a day later, I got the message that I now WAS USING DATA.

And as I also said, my iPhone used just under 15 kb of cellular data, and my iPad 41.0 kb of cellular data, EVEN THOUGH both devices had data roaming turned off and cellular data turned off.

There is something wrong. And FIDO insists the problem lies with Apple software. It is NOT some kind of roaming plan that I have with Fido. It is an automatic charge that starts when/if I use cellular data while roaming. And I'm NOT using cellular data!

Nov 4, 2014 3:32 PM in response to Eldor

Sorry. Don't know what else to tell you. Next time you travel. After you turn off cellular data entirely, reset the usage statistics. Then, you can look under Settings>Cellular, and find out exactly what is using the data...

I can't think of how it could happen unless, maybe, if you've shut the phone off, when you turn it on, it uses some minuscule amount when you next turn it on before the setting to turn cell data off "kicks in"...

Nov 5, 2014 4:44 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim and Meg...

This morning, at home, I turned off data roaming, then turned off cellular data. I also reset the statistics. I had WiFi at home.

I rode in to work and then looked at the phone. After having done the above, the phone showed that it had used 45kb of DATA. How is that possible?

Checking it again half an hour later, it had used 65.1kb of data.

When this happens while traveling in another country, it's enough to trigger roaming data use charges.

It appears to be System Services that are using the cellular data, even though I have cellular data turned off. Time & Location used 32.1kb, Push Notifications used 8kb and Networking used 4.9kb.

Is this normal? How can cellular data use COMPLETELY be turned off?

Nov 5, 2014 6:06 AM in response to Eldor

Obviously, that shouldn't happen.

Try: Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

Test it.

If that fails, try Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings.

Test it.

If that fails, the next step would normally be to Restore iOS and restore the backup, but I have a feeling that will be a waste of time.

Restore iOS using iTunes on your computer. Set it up as a new device. Do NOT restore your backup.

Test it again. It's likely that whatever corruption has occurred is now resident in your backup as well.

If setting it up as new doesn't fix it, make an appointment at the genius bar. You can obviously replicate the problem for them.

Nov 9, 2014 7:06 AM in response to Eldor

I as well am a regular US traveler.

I spend 2 to 3 days a week in United States and every single time I travel with data roaming and cellular data switch to off I am charge 4.99 by Fido for data usage that I did not use or approve. nothing new to all of you on this forum. One discovery I do believe that I have made is that my in-laws who are also on Fido were down here with us and were not charged data roaming.

we all have iPhones we are all on Fido, however the two phones did did get charged for data roaming were UNLOCKED apple iPhones. The other two Fido phones that were not charged were iPhones locked to Fido.

Are the rest of you experiencing this problem using unlocked iPhones?

If so maybe were being punished by Fido or not giving them iPhone dollars.

One of our guests that were not charged just unlocked her iPhone this week. We will see if she gets charged for data charge when she comes here on her next visit.

by the way I just got off the phone with AppleCare and they told me that the data usage should be taken up with the carrier and that they are not doing anything to incur the data charges for me.

Other thing that I noticed is that this problem only started occurring for me when Fido introduce their new automatically charged data packages. Maybe fido's US partner thinks of these bogus charges as a new revenue stream that they can scam.

Fido has told me that I have exhausted my goodwill dollars in having these charges removed from my bill. I love that they are offering me Goodwill for a mistake on their part. For the meantime I now pull out my Fido Sim completely from the phone.

I now use a T-Mobile chip that cost $10 to purchase and only two dollars a day for unlimited calling texting and 200 MB of data. Which I am told is 200 MB at full speed then throttled after 200 so essentially unlimited.

Only thing with this solution is that I now lose iMessage connectivity to my Canadian number and cannot be phoned in an emergency from Canada On my normal phone number unless I forward those calls at a cost from Fido once again

sorry I know this post is long but I have been dealing with this for sometime now.

I must also mention that I have been incurring these data charges while on Wi-Fi at my US home and on my US Mobile hotspot on the Sprint network

you can see that I've done everything within my power to avoid Fido roaming charges yet they still seem to find a way to charge me.

I found out my next step is to contact the office of the president at Fido. If this resolves nothing then it's the ombudsman next.

Nov 20, 2014 10:15 PM in response to Hypnofry

I am having the exact same problem, since Sept 27th when I travel to the states I am charged $4.99 by Fido even when my Cellular data is turned off. i get a text message which says "Simply turn data roaming ON to activate..." followed by a text message which says "You're using data at our exclusive promo rate of $4.99/day...". this has happened on my last four trips to the states and each time I have to call Fido and tell them I am not paying for it. This only happens on my iphone6 but not my daughters iPhone5 who has accompanied me. I always have data roaming turned off and in the past (before iphone 6 and IOS8) I never had any issues nor did I have to turn my cellular data off only data roaming. I am really frustrated that every time I make a trip to the states I have to follow up with a call to Fido to dispute the charge. The last time I was charged the $4.99 my cell data was turned off and I never took my phone off of lock screen.

Nov 21, 2014 1:09 PM in response to Eldor

I've had the same problems as those listed above since September. However, Fido has reversed the charge every time I've called about it.

Today when I called FIDO about my latest invoice, I was told they have been having this issue since late September (likely caused by an iOS update) and it continued until Nov 16. If you call, they will review your data transfers on those days and if each transfer is under 4KB then they will consider it part of the "glitch" and credit you.

****The CSR who I just spoke with said they are supposed to be reviewing all the accounts and providing credits to those who qualify automatically but apparently they missed mine 😉.****

And update your iOS to 8.1.1 to hopefully fix the problem if you haven't already.

Nov 21, 2014 5:23 PM in response to rckwng

My iPhone6 is running IOS 8.1.1 however this happened again yesterday when I popped across the border.

After a long conversations with both Fido and Apple this is what I was told.

From Fido

- i am not turning off data roaming and cellular data correctly and/or my phone is still using data (ie: data leak)

- this is not automatic charge it triggers when my phone uses data via a cellular network

- in addition to turning both off I should also call Fido customer service before my trip and have them block data during my trip

- in addition to all the above I should reset my network settings before traveling across the border

- if can prove I did not use any data during my trip I will be refunded what I was charged, apple has to confirm this for me (according to Fido)

From Apple

- this is not the first issue they have had with Fido and data roaming

- there is no such thing as data leak, if cellular data is turned off my phone is restricted to Wifi only

- they confirmed I did not use any data on my visits across the border and gave me a verification letter to give to Fido (something they say Fido could have easily confirmed)

- the only step necessary to avoid data roaming and Fido charges is to turn off data roaming

data roaming off, cell data off, yet being charged!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.