Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading to ios8.1, I am not able to send sms

Hi,

I upgraded my iPhone to ios 8.1 a week ago. After that I am not able to send any SMS. On iPhone it is not showing any status that Delivery failed or you can not send SMS. Infact it is behaving normally like it did in the past but receiver is not receiving any messages. I reset all my network settings but still no success. I am not talking about iMessages, I am talking about SMS. Even I am trying to send SMS to myself , I am also not receiving that. iMessages is off in Settings. Even I turned it on and Turn on the option of Sens as SMS but still not success. Can someone please help me that What the **** is going on with iPhone and Apple?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2014 10:20 AM

Hey SohaibQazi,

I see that you are having issues with sending SMS messages. Here is an article for you that can help you address this issue:

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ts2755

If you can't send and receive SMS

You will need these to send and receive SMS:

• An iPhone
  • A strong cellular network connection through a cellular network provider
  • A domestic SMS plan from your cellular provider (You might need an international messaging plan to send SMS to an international contact. Contact your carrier for more information)
  • A roaming SMS plan when you use a cellular provider's network that is different from your billing cellular provider's network (Learn more about roaming and contact your carrier for more information.)

To resolve issues sending and receiving SMS, follow these steps

1. Go to Settings and turn airplane mode off.
  2. Make sure that you have a cellular network signal in the status bar of your iPhone. If there's no signal, learn more about troubleshooting no service.
  3. Restart your iPhone.
  4. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.
  5. Remove your SIM card and insert it again.

If you still can't send or receive SMS, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact who's trying to message you isn't blocked in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
  2. Make sure that you're using the area code with the contact's phone number. When sending messages internationally, you also need to use the contact's international code.
  3. If you're using a "Pay as you go" SMS plan, make sure it has enough available balance. Contact your carrier if you're unsure of your SMS plan or the available balance.
  4. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up or forward important messages and delete your current messaging threads with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
  5. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and recreate the contact from the Contacts app. Send a new message to the contact.
  6. Back up and restore your iPhone as new.
  7. If your carrier has recently ported your phone number, the porting process might not be complete. Contact your carrier to confirm that the porting process is complete.
  8. Contact your carrier to confirm that you're provisioned for sending SMS and are in an area with cellular coverage.
  9. Contact your carrier to verify there are no blocks or filters placed on your wireless account preventing you from sending SMS.

Thanks for being a part of the Apple Support Communities!

Cheers,

Braden

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2014 10:20 AM in response to SohaibQazi

Hey SohaibQazi,

I see that you are having issues with sending SMS messages. Here is an article for you that can help you address this issue:

iOS: Troubleshooting Messages - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ts2755

If you can't send and receive SMS

You will need these to send and receive SMS:

• An iPhone
  • A strong cellular network connection through a cellular network provider
  • A domestic SMS plan from your cellular provider (You might need an international messaging plan to send SMS to an international contact. Contact your carrier for more information)
  • A roaming SMS plan when you use a cellular provider's network that is different from your billing cellular provider's network (Learn more about roaming and contact your carrier for more information.)

To resolve issues sending and receiving SMS, follow these steps

1. Go to Settings and turn airplane mode off.
  2. Make sure that you have a cellular network signal in the status bar of your iPhone. If there's no signal, learn more about troubleshooting no service.
  3. Restart your iPhone.
  4. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings on your iPhone.
  5. Remove your SIM card and insert it again.

If you still can't send or receive SMS, follow these steps

1. Make sure that the contact who's trying to message you isn't blocked in Settings > Messages > Blocked.
  2. Make sure that you're using the area code with the contact's phone number. When sending messages internationally, you also need to use the contact's international code.
  3. If you're using a "Pay as you go" SMS plan, make sure it has enough available balance. Contact your carrier if you're unsure of your SMS plan or the available balance.
  4. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, back up or forward important messages and delete your current messaging threads with the contact. Create a new message to the contact and try again.
  5. If the issue occurs with a specific contact or contacts, delete and recreate the contact from the Contacts app. Send a new message to the contact.
  6. Back up and restore your iPhone as new.
  7. If your carrier has recently ported your phone number, the porting process might not be complete. Contact your carrier to confirm that the porting process is complete.
  8. Contact your carrier to confirm that you're provisioned for sending SMS and are in an area with cellular coverage.
  9. Contact your carrier to verify there are no blocks or filters placed on your wireless account preventing you from sending SMS.

Thanks for being a part of the Apple Support Communities!

Cheers,

Braden

Nov 8, 2014 9:31 PM in response to braden85

Hi,

I have tried the way you explained Braden but now I am not able to send Group Messages, It is saying "Not Delivered". But I am able to send messages to individual users and they are receiving it. Now my Question is how I can send the messages to a group. Even to a group of only 2 people, I am not able to send SMS.

Regards,

Sohaib

Nov 12, 2014 1:10 PM in response to SohaibQazi

Hey again SohaibQazi,

I see that you have a few follow up questions about Group Messaging. Here is an article for you about group messaging and addressing these issues:

Send a group message with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5760

Why is Messages sending my group messages as individual texts?

If you send a message to multiple people and at least one person isn't using group messaging, an individual message will go to each recipient using either SMS or MMS. Only the original sender will get any responses to these messages, in separate message threads.

Using group messaging with MMS

To use group messaging with MMS, you need a plan from your carrier that allows sending MMS. Carrier messaging rates may apply.

Check with your wireless carrier to see how many people you can include in a group message with MMS.

You can turn off MMS group messaging in Settings > Messages > Group Messaging. You can still send and receive group iMessages.

Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

-Braden

After upgrading to ios8.1, I am not able to send sms

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.