Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else experiencing dead/stuck pixel(s) in iMac 5K?

I was so hoping that I wouldn't have to worry about this anymore, with the next generation in displays upon us. Alas, I found a dead pixel in my brand new iMac. Not sure what to do yet...

Make sure you check yours, Apple didn't check it for you 😟

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 7:32 AM

8 replies

Nov 5, 2014 1:53 PM in response to RadRob

I agree. If you notice it, get it resolved. Keep in mind that unless you are running max resolution content you are probably seeing more than one dead/stuck pixel. You may actually be seeing a group of four pixels when the display scales. Either way, you paid for the quality of the screen, primarily. Suggest you quit asking others for an opinion and return it for a perfect product. I would FWIW.

May 4, 2015 6:51 AM in response to mastervasil

Recieved my custom 4GHz i7 5K Retina iMac only to find what looks to be 3 black scratches on the middle of the screen, inspecting it further it's in the inner layer of the screen, the outside of the glass is flawless it's noticeable on light background or white screen, so could be hundreds or thousands of dead pixels because of the overall size of the resolution, wasnt happy so I called apple care, have to wait another 14 days or so to get the replacement fingers crossed the display on the replacement product isn't defective... Wonder why apples quality control has gone all of a sudden, on my third iPhone 6 plus as well this year... Things shouldn't come out of the factory like this, LCD technology has been around too long for this to happen... There should be a 0% tolerance to dead or defective pixels on panels... Apparently LG makes the panel on the Retina iMac, it doesn't surprise me that there's hundreds and thousands of defective iMac Retina panels out there right now, Apple should go with a quality manufacturers like Sharp or Panasonic.

fingers crossed I don't get another rushed Retina screen, wouldn't be surprised if Apple has so many defective screens because they rushed to get the technology out without properly quality testing going on.

Dont accept any dead pixels on these screens, if youre paying 4 and a half grand for one of these power machines don't accept anything but a perfect screen.

Apple raised the bar with quality computing and mobile technology don't accept anything but what they say they are delivering... If they say it's a gorgeous display then only accept a flawless display that's what they promised you.

May 15, 2015 10:02 PM in response to christo harris

OK so here's a follow up, got my replacement screen everything is peachy not a single flaw on the new 5k retina screen. Then after about 4 hours using the machine a small grey line appears in centre bottom half of screen..: overall it's not noticeable 95% of the time but it makes me wonder how hard it must be to make these displays... Seems like nearly every 27inch retina screen has minor to major issues even the display at the Apple Store in Rundle mall has small pixel flaws... I'm actually thinking Apple has started to lose its quality control ability because it's designing things that are too hard to perfect... Now it could be because LG is a complete bozo at making screen panels or there's not enough checks on the parts of the screen it seems pixel matrix layer and polariser layer are most at risk here... a single bit of air gets into the layer and it appears as grey spots and it will **** the customer off over time.

im mostly happy with the replacement screen but it's far from perfect, backlighting needs major improvement as well... Good display but not gorgeous because it's manufacturing and engineering problems.

Anyone else experiencing dead/stuck pixel(s) in iMac 5K?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.