Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share via email function missing in Pages

I use the share via email function 100+ times a day. I'm a power user with it and my business work efficiency depends on it as most of my clients work with MS Office.

Now that share via email function is completely missing in Page 5.5 (Yosemite). Did they remove it!?!?!?

Now have to export as a Word Doc, save it, open email and attach it. Very frustrating.

I use a 2010 Macbook Pro with everything up to date on it. I have not upgraded to iCloud Drive, as I want to manually retrieve all my iPad documents and back it up before activating that feature.

Any insights?

Thanks,

Lisa Ann

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 11:45 AM

15 replies

Nov 8, 2014 9:30 AM in response to LisiAnni

Hello LisiAnni,

The Share feature was not removed. It is located in the toolbar and looks like a box with an arrow pointing up next to the tips button. Take a look at the links below for how to do this and if you are missing that button, you can add it back by following the second article.

Send a copy of a document

http://help.apple.com/pages/mac/5.5/#/tan5394fbf0f

Customize the toolbar

http://help.apple.com/pages/mac/5.5/#/tanafa2f718a

User uploaded file

Regards,

-Norm G.

Nov 8, 2014 4:19 PM in response to LisiAnni

Just be cautious, this now uses iCloud Drive and potentially can lock you out of everything but Yosemite and iOS 8.

I haven't tested whether this also means the recipient needs iCloud Drive, I hope not or it is really useless.

Like everything in the Cloud you are putting your work and trust in someone else's hands and people are already reporting their files gone missing. Who do you talk to and what do you do to get them back?

Peter

Nov 9, 2014 10:55 AM in response to VikingOSX

User uploaded fileHi Viking0SX,

Yes, the email option is not available please see attached screenshot. It wants to force me to us iCloud Drive, which I have not set up yet. This is the only share option. Other then manually exporting as a word doc and attaching to an email. I've done all the iWork updates. I have not set up iCloud Drive.

Thanks,

Lisa Ann

Nov 9, 2014 2:01 PM in response to LisiAnni

Lisa Ann,

It is frustrating to me that we are both on Yosemite, and you clearly have a different implementation of Pages from mine. With or without iCloud Drive disabled, you should have the third menu item, Send a Copy, and its submenu that allows Email document attachment — and it is missing. Apple. Grrrrrrr!

I don't have an answer for you that can solve your current challenge. One possible solution is to systematically move from Pages to another word processing solution — one with better features, vendor commitment, and document interchange.

Nov 14, 2014 6:14 AM in response to LisiAnni

Hey Lisa Ann,

That is weird as you should have a Send a Copy section that would have the share options for Mail, Messages and AirDrop. I would recommend contacting Apple Support for some additional troubleshooting. One last bit of troubleshooting is to check to make sure you can download Pages again. If you can, delete the app and then install it again from the Mac App Store.

Contact Apple Support

https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

-Norm G.

Nov 14, 2014 6:19 PM in response to LisiAnni

Lisa Ann,

I was having the same problem and wondering what was going on. When you update to Yosemite, I just discovered that now you have two pages: the one that looks like the ink well which does not let you share via email. Then there is a new version of pages if you go into your applications, which does exactly what the first person to comment to you said. There is a little box where you can send emails.

Somehow the two pages did not merge with the update.

Aug 12, 2016 2:49 AM in response to LisaDugtrio

Hi Lisa D,

Just to clarify, Revyrev1 wrote:

now you have two pages: the one that looks like the ink well which does not let you share via email. Then there is a new version of pages if you go into your applications, which does exactly what the first person to comment to you said.

Applications folder:

User uploaded file

In OS X El Capitan (and I think OS X Yosemite) Pages '09 no longer supports Share > Send Via Mail. Pages '09 is now 'orphanware'.

In Pages 5.6.2 Share > Send a Copy > Mail does work.

Regards,

Ian.

Share via email function missing in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.