Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kairportTurnoffkey

User uploaded file

Hello.Imac crashes when this is displayed .. what should I do? Safari freezes and I can not get out of most any

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 2:58 PM

10 replies

Mar 21, 2017 5:39 PM in response to Gianluca88

I just now encountered this kAirportTurnoffKey/kAirportStatusOnKey issue

On my IMac

Two things I did that may be related to the event (Computer froze)

Attempted update of Microsoft Office

Inserted SanDisk 64Gb USB stick

- stick has been used before with no issue noted when transferring files to/from the iMac (OSX10.10.5) to/from HPz600 PC/Win10 and to/from a MacBook Air OSX10.6.8

Before the event stick was used with a MacPro running OSX10.6.8 (2x2,66 Dual) that has no WiFi

Restart (forced) after USB stick removal

I proceeded with the update of MS Office (2016) and then inserted the USBstick.

WiFi back to Normal.

May 16, 2017 3:46 AM in response to Gianluca88

I have been having the same problem for the last few weeks.

It appears to crash my iMac.

My config is iMac 27 inch (late 2012), 3.4 Ghz Core i7

It was purchased with 16GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM installed which I upgraded to 32GB with 16GB being purchased from Crucial. I have now removed the 16GB from Crucial and I think that may have resolved the issue, I am just testing at the moment, but it has not appeared yet.

Do we all have Crucial memory upgrades installed?

May 17, 2015 3:24 PM in response to lovelycrimsonred

I have been checking all over the net and nobody seems to have an answer. I got it happening when I changed my optical drive for my hard drive and installed an new SSD from Otherworld Computing. I did a fresh install of OS X Yosemite and then reinstalled that horror show MS Office (It is my wife's MBP) and then it stalled on startup repeatedly with the start up disk set for the new SSD. Her MacBook Pro is a 13" mid 20012 and ran well until the new upgrade.

As far as I can tell, one common thing we all seem to have is a new SSD or HD. I wonder if there is some preinstalled malware on them?

Mar 15, 2016 5:54 PM in response to dom.inic

Yes what the heck is this?! Have you or anyone else here ever figured out what the problem was? I have a 2015 Macbook Pro Retina, use daily, rarely any problems. Suddenly today (March 15, 2016) it starts freezing up - gives me that weird "kairportturnoffkey" and the other weird "k...." labels for everything in wifi or Bluetooth. One other thing I noticed is that I tried to take a screenshot it told me that I didn't have permission to save a screen shot (on my desktop, which I do all the time). I called Apple and he said it definitely sounds weird but told me to restart, and then it went back to normal. He told me to call again and boot into safemode if it happened again, but seems like you guys have experience with this. Any help is appreciated

Apr 28, 2016 2:13 PM in response to Pa33TMAC

So the same thing just happened to me!! 😕

I'm running OSX 10.6.8. on a MBP (mid-2010) and for the last 10 minutes I've had a spinning ball, and kAirportTurnOffKey and other 'k's and 'b's and weirdness.

Strangely, I have also just installed an SSD and upgraded my RAM (also Crucial, like one of the other posters) about a week ago.

So weird...going to restart and see what happens.

Nov 2, 2016 1:06 PM in response to Gianluca88

Same issue: my Macbook Pro, OS: Sierra, Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, just started displaying kAirportTurnOffKey today.

I haven't switched out my ram or hard drive, it just showed up. Haven't had any crashes (so far) but it seems to be correlated with slowing down my opened apps (forcing me to force quit, which hasn't been an issue before) and slowing down the laptop in general.

Haven't been able to find an answer to this issue on any forums including Apple's own forum. Would love to learn what the kAirportTurnOffKey means, whether it is harmful to the computer and if it is, how to get rid of it. Thanks!

kairportTurnoffkey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.