Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new iPhone prompts me to enter a password to an unfamiliar apple ID ??

So, upon initial setup of my brand new iPhone 6, I am asked to enter my apple id. On the next screen I select that i want to restore from an iCloud backup and select which one I want from my iPhone 5. Then, on the next screen I am told to "Enter the Apple ID password for ******@yahoo.com to use for store purchases (including the App Store, iTunes Store, and iBooks Store). There is only one problem, I have no idea who jason fox is and have never entered or seen that apple ID before. Does anyone have any idea how this happened? I am not sure if i should continue past this point by clicking "skip this step" incase there is some issue with the security of my phone.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 10:00 AM

It's because you downloaded pirated media that had been purchased from Apple by the person with the Apple ID you saw and then distributed illegally. Their ID is still stored in the files, so you're being asked to confirm that you in fact own the files.

To verify this, check all the iTunes media you're syncing to your phone (most likely music), right-click and 'get-info' for all your music and if it was purchased by that person after a certain date, you'll see their ID listed in the 'File' tab as the 'Purchaser.' Media purchased before Apple started storing this info with the file won't have that person's ID stored in the info, but it will still cause the conflict.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2015 10:00 AM in response to Grande mang

It's because you downloaded pirated media that had been purchased from Apple by the person with the Apple ID you saw and then distributed illegally. Their ID is still stored in the files, so you're being asked to confirm that you in fact own the files.

To verify this, check all the iTunes media you're syncing to your phone (most likely music), right-click and 'get-info' for all your music and if it was purchased by that person after a certain date, you'll see their ID listed in the 'File' tab as the 'Purchaser.' Media purchased before Apple started storing this info with the file won't have that person's ID stored in the info, but it will still cause the conflict.

Nov 5, 2014 5:27 PM in response to Grande mang

Did anyone ever sync their device with your iTunes library? If so, it may have transferred media to your library that was purchased with these IDs, and they were subsequently synced to your old phone and stored in the backup. If you keep skipping the prompt for the IDs it should eventually stop prompting you. The consequence of this is that any media purchased with these IDs would not be restored to your new phone.

Brand new iPhone prompts me to enter a password to an unfamiliar apple ID ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.