Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove orphaned app folders from iCloud Drive

I recently uninstalled several apps with the capability of storing files in iCloud Drive. When I originally installed those apps (Documents by Readdle and Sketchbook), they automatically created their own folders in iCloud Drive. I have uninstalled both apps, but I cannot remove the corresponding folders from iCloud Drive on iCloud.com. Like the folders associated with Apple's own apps, the folders created by these two apps cannot be deleted, renamed, or moved. Neither folder has any documents stored in it; in fact, neither ever had any documents stored in them. Does anyone know how to delete those folders? Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 5, 2014 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 10:52 PM

I have identified a solution. It involves the following steps.

(1) Reinstall the app whose folder you want to delete on your iPhone or iPad.

(2) Open the app, and (if necessary) enable access to iCloud Drive in the app (this is necessary for GoodReader, for example).

(3) Close the app from the multitasking bar (by double clicking the home button and swiping up).

(4) Go to Settings ----> iCloud ----> iCloud Drive.

(5) Deactivate the toggle for the app in question.

(6) Back out to the main Settings menu.

(7) Close the Settings app from the multitasking bar.

(8) Wait one minute (may not take that long, but can't hurt to be safe).

(9) Delete the app in question.

(10) Wait one minute.

(11) Sign in to iCloud.com, access iCloud Drive. The corresponding app folder should now be gone.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2014 10:52 PM in response to jrogersok

I have identified a solution. It involves the following steps.

(1) Reinstall the app whose folder you want to delete on your iPhone or iPad.

(2) Open the app, and (if necessary) enable access to iCloud Drive in the app (this is necessary for GoodReader, for example).

(3) Close the app from the multitasking bar (by double clicking the home button and swiping up).

(4) Go to Settings ----> iCloud ----> iCloud Drive.

(5) Deactivate the toggle for the app in question.

(6) Back out to the main Settings menu.

(7) Close the Settings app from the multitasking bar.

(8) Wait one minute (may not take that long, but can't hurt to be safe).

(9) Delete the app in question.

(10) Wait one minute.

(11) Sign in to iCloud.com, access iCloud Drive. The corresponding app folder should now be gone.

Mar 15, 2015 2:26 AM in response to jrogersok

Did all this to delete a Readdle file in iCloud.com, included the 2nd option, as the folder wasn't gone after the first attempt. The folder with toggle is gone in the iCloud drive menu on the iphone. It isn't gone in iCloud.com. It seems to be there forever...? The file is gone in the finder iCloud drive window on OSX10.10.2. So is it a hidden file which must be hidden but doesn't do that at all?

Remove orphaned app folders from iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.