Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why I cannot get 3840*2160 res on my new late 2014 Mac mini?

I just got this late 2014 Mac mini and connected to my seiki 39 inch 4k TV, but the highest res i can have was only 1980*1080 60 Htz. But I have no problem when I hook up my Macbook Pro Retina 15 late 2012, any suggestion? Thank you

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 6:21 AM

18 replies

Nov 6, 2014 8:28 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you for your replay. I use HDMI for both Mac mini and Macbook, but Macbook has gt650m Graphical card, I was trying to press the option key when I choosing the scale in the display menu, and there is no other resolutions higher than 1080p. I also get a 4k mini dp to hdmi cable, but it works with macbook pro but not on mac mini. Should new Mac mini originally support the 3840*2160 at 30 Hz?

Nov 7, 2014 3:56 PM in response to lllaass

I tried display menu last night, but I still got 1080p at 60hz. I do have a 4k mini dp to HDMI converter, but it gave me green screen when I change the resolution to 3840*2160. I tried switchresX, but is always says that it is invalid. so is that the iris graphic card need special cable in order to output the 4k resolution?

Thank you

Nov 18, 2014 3:00 PM in response to liyuegun

@liyuegun has the same problem with his 2014 Mac Mini that many of us do. When connected to the Seiki display, the Mini boots up and and *initially* syncs with the display at 3840x2160 @ 30Hz. It looks quite glorious on that initial boot screen for a couple seconds, until the next state in the boot process (when it shows the login screen), when it resyncs down to 1080p. Bummer.

I spent two hours today chatting with two Apple support reps. I have an open support request about this very issue. I downloaded a couple data capture apps which sent a whole bunch of debug information about my Mini and the display deep into the heart of Apple engineering. Hopefully that will result in a future software update which enables this display.

Dec 11, 2014 8:01 PM in response to davestanton

Yes, Apple provided a less than helpful response:

I’ve gotten word back from our engineering team and they have discovered a few things about your issue and have steps for you to perform.

They woudl like you to do the following:

1. Remove SwitchResX using a proper uninstaller from the developer. Once removed, restart the computer.

2. Use an HDMI cable between the display and the computer. (According to the SEIKI website, only HDMI is supprted for 4k on that display.)

3. Try EACH of the three HDMI ports on the display, and note the resolutions that you can achieve with each one.

After you’ve tried these steps, if your still having an issue with getting 4k @ 30Hz to work reach out to us and we can continue from there.

I did attempt to use SwitchResX (it wasn't helpful) and then I deinstalled it. It's not installed, the data I sent them would have revealed that (by it's absence). The only reason I installed it in the first places was b/c 3840x2160 wasn't working.

I verbally shared with both engineers on the phone. I do also have an Accel DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, and that's the only way I can get 4k resolution from my 2013 Retina MBP. But with the mini, it only works when using just the HDMI cable. Thanks for telling me information that I told you guys on the phone...

They also suggested trying all 3 of the HDMI ports on the TV. I didn't bother following up with Apple because the problem isn't a physical one. The display syncs up at 3840x2160 initially at boot. So #2 and #3 are non-starters. It's only when the Mac OS X kernel loads and then artificially limits the pixel clock. I was able to resolve this issue myself with some help from Google. I posted a link to the solution here, but then Apple removed it, saying:

We removed your post Re: Why I cannot get 3840*2160 res on my new late 2014 Mac mini? because it referenced iOS unlocking and/or jailbreaking.

The URL target was to a github repo which contained only Mac OS information. Apple has been quite a bit less than helpful.

Dec 12, 2014 1:17 AM in response to liyuegun

I think you have to have HDMI 2.0 to support 4k for both output and input. Also you have to have HDMI cables that's 4k capable... I 'm in the process
of building a mini pc with 4k running on a latest samsung 4k tv. I already found out that I bought the wrong HDMI cable that is mini HDMI to HDMI
and it say resolution up to 1080p. Display port supports it but when you convert it to HDMI and to the wrong HDMI it will not support 4k.
Most HDMI todays are HDMI 1.4 or 1.4a. I heard from someone that todays new 4k tvs does not have the latest HDMI 2 inputs ports yet
except some higher end tvs. They also mentioned that sony did put it hdmi 2 in theirs. My samsung 4k tv has a special oversized plug similar
to a usb port. Supposedly you have to buy a special external box to input your sources and from this box you connect to your 4k tv with one single cable.
Some kind of 4k converter? You may be able to run 4k through HDMI at 30Hz I've seen it in Fry's Electronics on a 4k computer monitor but it run only at
30Hz and the mouse were lagging the whole windows experience was lagging. You don't want that. Next to this monitor was another 4k with DP Display Port
running 4k with smooth and normally as it should. I wand to do the same as you on the 4k tv cause I figured this 4k samsung 40" inch tv for $579 would give me
a lot of real estate, a lot more than a 4k computer monitor for the same price... if, and only if I can run it on 4k. I love the concept of tv for computer monitor
I already using a 39" 1080p for monitor. However, some tvs are better than others.I set my tv internally not to turn off itself if I use a blank screen saver or if the computer goes into sleep. My dummy 39" Insignia tv smarter than my latest 4k samsung. Meaning mo matter what my Insignia will wake up when I wake my computer up from sleep acting just like any computer monitor. But my 4k latest samsung even if I set it up right in the setting not to turn itself off when it senses no input still it will display a moving no signal message on the screen which is annoying, consumes more power and it doesn't reall going into
a sleep mode like my Insignia 1080p does or a computer monitor. So you may want to take this into consideration. I like to set my computer screen saver mode into blank with nothig on it. some tv will threat it as no input and will display a no signal message and will turn itself off. Most tv has a setting to change that not to turn it off. But what if you set your computer for sleep mode or hibernation? Same thing it want's to turn off unlike computer monitors. I was able to set and use the Insignia TV a Best Buy brand to behave exactly like a computer monitor. Unfortunately not yet on my 4k Samsung tv. Before you buy any
tv for computer monitor, take a laptop with you and ask it to hook it up to the tv you want to buy it. Set your computer to turn the screen off after one minute or have your laptop go to sleep after one minute. Than hook it up to the tv. Than you have to go into the tv settings and each brand has a different name for it
but turn off a feature inside that has to do with not letting the tv to power down after no activity or if it senses no input because the manufacturers set this to
be on by default. Do this two and let your laptop run and wait to go to sleep/or turn off the screen after one minute automatically. See if the tv will give any
onscreen message or not. If you luck it will not and it will wake up like a compute monitor when you wake your computer. I never let my computer to sleep
I always set my computers to put the display into sleep after a certain amount of time. If your tv will wake up when you touch the mouse than that's a good
one for computer monitor........Good luck.

Dec 12, 2014 9:27 AM in response to Apples.and.Bugs

Apples.and.Bugs wrote:

I think you have to have HDMI 2.0 to support 4k for both output and input. Also you have to have HDMI cables that's 4k capable...

With HDMI 1.4, the maximum resolution possible is 3840x2160@30 Hz. HDMI 2.0 makes is possible to get 3840x2160@60Hz. Yes, a 4k compatible HDMI cable is required, but the one included with the Seiki TV works just fine for me.

Dec 12, 2014 2:18 PM in response to ultimac-warrior

That's what I though, you're right but running it on 30 Hz is not a good experience. I've seen it on computer monitor and there's a notable lag

it's acting like the computer is run out of memory or the GUI is not enough for even basic computing. What if you run it on 2k resolution
setting thought ? I would be happy if I could run my 4k tv on 2k with my computer on 60 Hz... I guess I'll finish my bare bone computer to be built in a week and I'll find out then if it will work....
Then another question ultimac-warrior, How's your experience running your Seiki 4k TV with your computer? I suppose the TV can't do
30 Hz ? It would damage it... Or does not? If it can't play 30Hz it may would not even display a picture ? Tell me more please and also
if you can run it on 4k then what other resolutions are available between 3840x2160 and 1080p ? I would like to know it. Thanks.

Why I cannot get 3840*2160 res on my new late 2014 Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.