Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Express guests cannot access internet

Could anyone please tell me why computers on the Guest Network cannot access internet? It is connected to the AirPort Express but "connection is limited".

thank you.

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 10:35 AM

12 replies

Nov 6, 2014 10:43 AM in response to applerl

The most common cause of the problem that you are reporting is that the AirPort Express is connected to a modem/router or gateway type of device.....often furnished by Internet Service Providers to their customers.......when the "guest" feature only works correctly when the AirPort is connected to a simple modem.....not a modem/router or gateway.

A simple modem will have only one Ethernet port, but that alone does not insure that the guest network will function correctly.

Post back with the make and model number of the device that you call your "modem", and we will check to see if it really is a simple modem.

Nov 6, 2014 11:24 AM in response to applerl

No need to check on the model number, if you know that you have a router. That is what is preventing the Guest network feature from operating correctly.

Sometimes, a modem/router can be reconfigured to operate as a simple modem.....then the AirPort Express will be able to provide both a "private" and "guest" network with Internet access for both networks. This would be a question for your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Another much simpler option....if available.....would be to ask your ISP if they could supply you with a simple modem.....not a modem/router or gateway type of device.

The final option....not recommended....is to try to set up the AirPort Express incorrectly.....which will create network errors that may or may not allow things to work on either the "private" network, "guest" network, or both.

Nov 6, 2014 12:08 PM in response to applerl

As I said, I do not recommend this, since it will create errors on your network with results that cannot be predicted. This type of configuration is not supported, so we won't be able to help you if / when you have problems.

It would be much better to use the wireless network provided by your modem/router for one function....maybe guests...and use the AirPort Express for your own use.

Apr 23, 2015 9:21 AM in response to jumbojemima

Your D-Link "modem" is really a modem/router or gateway.....a device that combines the functions of a separate modem and separate router in one package.

When the AirPort connects to another router, it needs to be in Bridge Mode to work on the network correctly.

But, the Guest Network function cannot be enabled when the AirPort is in Bridge Mode.

Some folks would call this a Catch 22.

Apr 24, 2015 5:19 AM in response to jumbojemima

I provided a few options in an earlier post above. You might have missed that, so to repeat again.....

Sometimes, a modem/router can be reconfigured to operate as a simple modem.....then the AirPort will be able to provide both a "private" and "guest" network with Internet access for both networks. This would be a question for your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Another much simpler option....if available.....would be to ask your ISP if they could supply you with a simple modem.....not a modem/router or gateway type of device.

The final option....not recommended....is to try to set up the AirPort Express incorrectly.....which will create network errors that may or may not allow things to work on either the "private" network, "guest" network, or both.

Apr 29, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, I decided to buy a new TC yesterday, set everything up, and internet working fine with 7 devices (2 iMacs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, Mac Air). Turned it off overnight, and restarted today and now only the Mac Air will connect to the internet. Tried restarting the TC several times with the same result... do you have any idea what's wrong please?

I've removed the dLink and the fibre optic broadband is connected through a nucleus connect modem.

Oh and it takes an age to connect to the internet on that the Macbook...

AirPort Express guests cannot access internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.