Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to remove photos from iPhone to Mac

Hello,

I have nearly 1,500 photos in my photo roll including 1,700 photos from the "Last 12 Months" which is clearly an import from iPhoto, however, these do not show up in iPhoto nor am I am able to sync them with iphoto now to remove them from my iPhone.

Basically when I plug in my iphone, it registers the last 100-200 photos Ive taken and will import those. Since I dont have a ton of memory, I have to remove photos regularly. If I can get the nearly 10GB of photos off my phone which represents pictures from nearly 2 years ago, it would be incredibly useful. Plus I want them backed up on my computer. I am not sure why iphoto will not register them nor whyI cant transfer them.

Also, I am unable to manually delete them from the iphone. When I click "Select" in the last 12 months import it only gives me the option to share those photos. These photos are 2+ years old and not the photos I have been importing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 12:09 PM

Photos that were placed onto the phone by using iTunes to sync them from a computer can be deleted from the phone by syncing again with iTunes as stated in the quote below from iTunes: Syncing photos - Apple Support

To delete synced photos and videos from your device

1. In iTunes, click the Device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper-right corner first.)
  2. Click the Photos tab in the resulting window.
  3. Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections you want to delete.
    Note: To delete all synced photos, deselect "Sync Photos from" and, when asked, click "Remove photos."
  4. Click Apply.

If the only copy of the photos is the one that is on the phone, you will need a 3rd party application such as http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php (unless you want to email them to yourself).

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2014 12:09 PM in response to tdogg608

Photos that were placed onto the phone by using iTunes to sync them from a computer can be deleted from the phone by syncing again with iTunes as stated in the quote below from iTunes: Syncing photos - Apple Support

To delete synced photos and videos from your device

1. In iTunes, click the Device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper-right corner first.)
  3. Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections you want to delete.
    Note: To delete all synced photos, deselect "Sync Photos from" and, when asked, click "Remove photos."
  4. Click Apply.

If the only copy of the photos is the one that is on the phone, you will need a 3rd party application such as http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php (unless you want to email them to yourself).

Nov 6, 2014 12:28 PM in response to FoxFifth

I have already unchecked the box in iTunes so it does not sync with iPhoto at all.

So is that really the only option? I can email 5 photos at a time which will take 400+ emails to send the 2,000+ photos I have on the phone or pay $30 to a 3rd party software company to do this? Why am I unable to simply access the photos and transfer them to my computer? It does not make sense.

Nov 6, 2014 12:37 PM in response to tdogg608

iTunes Photo Sync was intended as a way to copy photos from your computer and to then keep the selected folders in sync (i.e., to subsequently add or delete photos from the phone when they were changed on the computer). It was intended that you would keep the originals on the computer.

The options I gave are the ones I know about. There may be other 3rd party software that is cheaper or even free, but I don't know of any that I can recommend.

Nov 6, 2014 2:48 PM in response to FoxFifth

I appreciate the help. It is just odd that I can not access the phone in a similar manner to a camera and simply pull the pictures off manually.

I want to get a new phone but will not until I can get these photos off my phone. In this day and age, paying $30 for this does not make sense.

I am hoping someone out there has a different option.

Nov 6, 2014 2:55 PM in response to tdogg608

I don't think you are going to get a different option -- other than possibly a recommendation for some other 3rd party software. This is an issue that comes up on this forum very frequently and I haven't seen any other recommendations. Unfortunately I don't even remember seeing any other 3rd party software recommendations but I wouldn't rule out that possibility.

The following is from Apple's support site: iTunes: Syncing photos - Apple Support

You can't reimport pictures synced from your computer to your device back to your computer. You can only import pictures in the Camera Roll or Saved Photos from your device to your computer. If you need to retrieve synced photos from your device:

1. Email them from the device to yourself.
  2. Copy them from the emails to your computer.

Nov 6, 2014 3:10 PM in response to FoxFifth

And to add to what FoxFifth is saying, these photos that you synced from the computer to the phone are also in a reduced resolution. The original on the computer would be at full resolution, the ones synced to the phone are at a reduced resolution to save space. There is no other way to copy those photos from the phone back to the computer except the solution that FoxFifth provided. While you may feel that $30 is a lot for Touchcopy, it also does a number of other tasks. It will allow you to copy your messages and you voicemail to the computer for safe keeping. Your problem started when you removed the photos from the computer that you did the sync from. I can give you a solution to get the photos off of the phone, but I'm just talking erase them, not save them.

Nov 6, 2014 4:42 PM in response to tdogg608

If they won't delete using the instructions below, try syncing one or more new photos to the phone using iTunes, and then try the instructions below again:

4. Click Apply.

Nov 6, 2014 7:09 PM in response to tdogg608

If you do locate the photos on the other computer, then create a blank folder on your current computer with iTunes. After connecting the iPhone, select the Photos tab, then select the empty folder to sync, then click on Sync. Once you do that, it will remove all of the old pictures and sync the blank folder. Should be no photos synced. Then go back to iTunes, remove the checkmark by the folder you chose to sync, then sync again. That will remove that folder. No folders synced at all.

Jun 6, 2015 7:51 PM in response to tdogg608

I wish I'd knew this was going to happen before I deleted and imported my pic.. So what happens when I out some ware and I run out of space... I'm F%$#ed because I can't remove any imported pic without itunes. This is unacceptable! So now I have to lose all my pics on my phone in far of this happening... Why in the **** would apple do something like this... This is ******** and I'm kind of ****** right now....

Unable to remove photos from iPhone to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.