Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air shuts down if it is not plugged into the power outlet through the adapter. What is happening?

Problem description:

Mid-2013 Macbook Air 13 inch. Shuts down when unplugged from power adapter. It 1st started just shutting down intermittently on battery power. Sometimes when it powers back-up on the battery power only the fan would be blowing hard. But it is now at the point that if it is not connected to the power adapter it will not come on. I have tried resetting SMC and PRAM but to no avail. The battery is showing 100% charge with only 137 battery cycle count.

EtreCheck version: 2.0.11 (98)

Report generated November 6, 2014 at 1:58:37 PM CST

Hardware Information:ℹ️

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) (Verified)

MacBook Air - model: MacBookAir6,2

1 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Video Information:ℹ️

Intel HD Graphics 5000 -

Color LCD 1440 x 900

System Software:ℹ️

OS X 10.10 (14A389) - Uptime: 0:23:26

Disk Information:ℹ️

APPLE SSD SM0128F disk0 : (121.33 GB)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

Untitled (disk1) / [Startup]: 120.10 GB (87.15 GB free)

Core Storage: disk0s2 120.47 GB Online

USB Information:ℹ️

Apple Internal Memory Card Reader

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Configuration files:ℹ️

/etc/hosts - Count: 5

Gatekeeper:ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Launch Agents:ℹ️

[running] com.kodak.BonjourAgent.plist Support

Launch Daemons:ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist Support

[loaded] com.bombich.ccc.plist Support

[running] com.JavaW.plist Support

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist Support

User Launch Agents:ℹ️

[loaded] com.genieo.completer.download.plist Support

[loaded] com.genieo.completer.update.plist Support

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist Support

[loaded] com.kodak.KODAK AiO Firmware Updater.plist Support

[loaded] com.kodak.KODAK AiO Software Updater.plist Support

User Login Items:ℹ️

None

Internet Plug-ins:ℹ️

SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.4.4 - SDK 10.6 Support

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 15.0.0.189 - SDK 10.6 Support

Flash Player: Version: 15.0.0.189 - SDK 10.6 Support

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

User Internet Plug-ins:ℹ️

WebEx64: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.6 Support

Safari Extensions:ℹ️

Omnibar

Searchme

3rd Party Preference Panes:ℹ️

Flash Player Support

Time Machine:ℹ️

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

Untitled: Disk size: 120.10 GB Disk used: 32.95 GB

Destinations:

Bogie Back-Up [Network]

Total size: 499.75 GB

Total number of backups: 11

Oldest backup: 2014-08-19 18:08:04 +0000

Last backup: 2014-11-06 18:51:38 +0000

Size of backup disk: Excellent

Backup size 499.75 GB > (Disk size 120.10 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU:ℹ️

5% WindowServer

0% fontd

0% sysmond

0% AppleSpell

0% cloudpaird

Top Processes by Memory:ℹ️

82 MB Finder

60 MB Messages

60 MB WindowServer

47 MB Safari

43 MB mds_stores

Virtual Memory Information:ℹ️

1.32 GB Free RAM

1.79 GB Active RAM

545 MB Inactive RAM

634 MB Wired RAM

945 MB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 12:13 PM

18 replies

Nov 7, 2014 12:48 AM in response to nmlopez1

nmlopez1 wrote:

Launch Daemons:ℹ️

[running] com.JavaW.plist

You have installed iWorm Backdoor/Trojan/Botnet malware as describe by this Dr.Web blog New Mac OS X bonnet discovered, most probably by installing pirated software from someplace. To disable it you will need to install the above file and a folder as described in this TheSafeMac article.

We believe the botnet has been disabled or abandoned, but depending on when you were infected it could have already harvested privacy information from your hard drive. Watch all your financial accounts that you access via the Internet and change those passwords along with any others that are identical if you reuse them on other sites.

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.genieo.completer.download.plist

[loaded] com.genieo.completer.update.plist

Safari Extensions:

Omnibar

Searchme

You have accidentally installed Spigot and Genieo/InstallMac/Omnibus adware. The fastest, most effective way to identify and optionally remove all currently known adware is by using AdwareMedic, developed by thomas_r. this Forum's malware guru, owner of TheSafeMac and a colleague of mine.

To understand why this happened and how to avoid such things in the future read John Galt's How to install adware.

Nov 7, 2014 1:42 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I have restored to Mountain Lion before reading your post. Since downgrading to original OS, the mba did not shut down immediately when unplugged 3 out of 4 times that i had unplugged it from power. It stayed for about 2 to 4 minutes but it still shut down on its own. Tried reseting SMC a couple of times but, it would still have a hard time starting up without being plugged into the power adapter. It took long to come on with just the battery and when it did come on with the battery the fan would be running hard and after a couple of minutes it would shut down on its own. I would like to add, since I need the charger adapter connected almost at all times the battery has remained at 100% through this process. Here is also the battery info you wanted:User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I have not tried the hardware test at this time. I am thinking it more software than hardware. I had no problem before. This just recently started. I believe the battery is still good. I have another comment from MadMacs0 that I might have installed an iWorm Backdoor/Trojan/Botnet malware.

Is this the possible cause? Is his comment reliable?

Nov 7, 2014 1:56 AM in response to nmlopez1

I have another comment from MadMacs0 that I might have installed an iWorm Backdoor/Trojan/Botnet malware.

Is this the possible cause? Is his comment reliable?

There is no "might" about it. The only way to have com.JavaW.plist running is to have installed it. Whether it has anything to do with your observed problem is anybody's guess. It's easy enough to disable, but it's harm may already be done.

TheSafeMac site I referred you to is owned by a colleague of mine and frequent contributor here in the Forum as one of it's most respected Malware guru's, thomas_r.

As far as my credentials are concerned, I provide uncompensated tech support on the ClamXav Forum which is donationware A-V software for OS X.

Nov 7, 2014 2:16 AM in response to MadMacs0

No intention to offend in anyway MadMacs0. I just want to be certain I take the right steps to resolve this. But as I mentioned prior to seeing OGELTHORPE's post and yours, I had already restored the mba to original os Mountain Lion. would this have resolve what you are mentioning about the worm & malware issues on my laptop?

Nov 7, 2014 2:21 AM in response to nmlopez1

No offense taken.

nmlopez1 wrote:

I had already restored the mba to original os Mountain Lion. would this have resolve what you are mentioning about the worm & malware issues on my laptop?

Can't say without another EtreCheck. Both the iWorm malware and adwares were installed into your User area, so if you migrated your user back to Mountain Lion or if they were installed in Mountain Lion before you upgraded to Yosemite, then would almost certainly still be there.

I'm headed to bed now, so won't be able to check on you until tomorrow, but I think I've given you enough info to figure it all out. Best of luck.

Nov 7, 2014 2:38 AM in response to nmlopez1

Here is the latest EtreCheck on my mba since restoration to MOUNTAIN LION. I am also able to unplugged without the it shutting down immediately. It seems to last longer and longer on battery before shutting down on its own. The 1st time i unplugged after restore to mountain lion it took about 1 minute before it turned off. The second time about 3. The next time about 9 minutes. But it still has a hard time turning on with just the battery. The fan seems to run hard on battery and can barely turn on that way and practically does not turn on with just battery. I still need it connected to adapter to turn on. Anyways, here is the latest EtreCheck:

Report generated November 7, 2014 4:28:20 AM CST

4 GB RAM

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Intel HD Graphics 5000 - VRAM: 1024 MB

Color LCD 1440 x 900

OS X 10.8.5 (12F45) - Uptime: 0:19:14

disk0s1 (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Untitled (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 120.47 GB (108.82 GB free)

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Thunderbolt Information:ℹ️

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

None

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.1

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 14.6.0 - SDK 10.8 Check version

None

Time Machine not configured!

3% WindowServer

1% fontd

0% blued

318 MB WebProcess

120 MB Safari

43 MB mds

39 MB WindowServer

34 MB Finder

2.59 GB Free RAM

1.07 GB Active RAM

184 MB Inactive RAM

447 MB Wired RAM

285 MB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

I hope the downgrade to Mountain Lion at least removed the worm and adware. Thanks MadMacs0 for the info. Hope to see your comments tomorrow.

Nov 7, 2014 3:22 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I did try the AHT. It showed no problem or issue concerning my MBA "ADP000". I am not sure what i else i can try other than opening the computer to check the physical connections of the battery and eventually spending for a replacement battery.

I hope a true solution to this can be found. I see others with similar problems posted but no one really offering a true solution for this particular scenario.

Nov 7, 2014 6:08 AM in response to nmlopez1

You definitely are infected with iWorm, yes. You should pay attention to MadMacs0's comments.

As for the problem, it's more likely that a problem like this is due to a hardware issue than a software issue. Be aware that not all hardware problems can be detected by Apple Hardware Test... if it says you have a problem, you do, but if it doesn't find anything, that doesn't mean a whole lot.

One thing you could do to check for a software vs hardware issue is to restart in recovery mode (hold down command-R at startup). This starts up from a clean system separate from your usual system. If you see the same behavior while in recovery mode, then it's definitely hardware.

If it's hardware, one thing to try would be resetting the SMC:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

That may solve the problem. If it doesn't, you should probably contact Apple for service.

Nov 7, 2014 5:39 PM in response to thomas_r.

Tried to reset SMC many times but it didn't change anything. The battery however is no longer being charged by the adapter even the computer is plugged in. The light remains orange. I restored to one of my earlier back-ups on time machine with Mavericks and the iWorm and malware returned. So, I decided to erase the hard drive and restore to original OS. I was able to restore to Yosemite. Here is the result of the latest estrecheck and battery info:

Report generated November 7, 2014 at 7:30:08 PM CST

4 GB RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Intel HD Graphics 5000 -

Color LCD 1440 x 900

OS X 10.10 (14A389) - Uptime: 0:8:24

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Untitled (disk1) / [Startup]: 120.10 GB (109.93 GB free)

Core Storage: disk0s2 120.47 GB Online

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Thunderbolt Information:ℹ️

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Apple Inc. Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

None

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

None

Skip System Files: NO

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

Untitled: Disk size: 120.10 GB Disk used: 10.17 GB

Destinations:

Bogie Back-Up [Network]

Total size: 0 B

Total number of backups: 12

Oldest backup: 2014-08-19 18:08:04 +0000

Last backup: 2014-11-06 20:25:00 +0000

Size of backup disk: Too small

Backup size 0 B < (Disk used 10.17 GB X 3)

9% backupd

5% WindowServer

5% diskimages-helper

2% mds_stores

1% mds

180 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

76 MB Finder

69 MB mds_stores

52 MB backupd

52 MB Safari

1.83 GB Free RAM

1.38 GB Active RAM

444 MB Inactive RAM

644 MB Wired RAM

1.86 GB Page-ins

262 KB Page-outs

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

At this point, the computer works fine with the adapter plugged in, light remains orange, the battery is not being charged. I believe the computer will still turn off once I unplugged the adapter from the computer although the battery is supposedly 88% charged.

If this is a hardware problem I hope it's just the battery. I believe that's the next step I have to take. Unless anyone has any other ideas.

Nov 7, 2014 6:28 PM in response to nmlopez1

nmlopez1 wrote:

I hope the downgrade to Mountain Lion at least removed the worm and adware.

It appears to have gotten rid of all that.

Most users infected by iWorm were using Adobe products obtained from PirateBay, but others say they were asked to download something in order to properly view video media of some soft.

Most Adware comes from downloading third party software from either C|Net's download[dot]com or Softonics.

Try to get all such software either from the App Store or the developer's web site to avoid this sort of thing.

Nov 8, 2014 12:27 AM in response to nmlopez1

I no longer have warranty on this mba. I still have the problem of shutting down when unplugged from the adapter. Since no one has suggested anything else that I can do to try to resolve this, I'm only left with the option of replacing the battery. I would like to order the correct battery for my mba (Mid-2013 MBA 13"). Does anyone know a place I can go to or order online from that provides the replacement battery if the OEM is too expensive? Is Amazon a good place to order and which brand?

Nov 8, 2014 5:56 AM in response to nmlopez1

I am of the opinion that the battery is not your problem. Did you try the SMC reset that Thomas_r suggested? Also, as Thomas_r pointed out, an error free AHT is not definitive.

Make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar. The evaluation will be free regardless of warranty status. I am prone to suspect that the charger or the DC input board are the problems.

Ciao.

Nov 10, 2014 3:22 PM in response to nmlopez1

Everyone thanks for all the help. Especially to MacMacs0, who informed me of the iWorm & Adware on my mba. I was able to take the steps to eradicate them. I also learned that you don't have to wipe out your hold hard drive & restore to get rid of that iWorm. You can also simply delete "com.JavaW.plist" and the "JavaW" folder that goes with. I think that eliminates the iWorm altogether.

As for the problem that I was mainly concerned with "MBA shuts down when unplugged although battery is at 100% charge and only has 137 cycle life" this is also solved. Once, i opened the MBA, i noticed that the battery connector was not fully seated to the logic board. I simply had to lock it in place and the laptop works perfect with the battery. How it came loose, your guess is as good as mine.

Macbook Air shuts down if it is not plugged into the power outlet through the adapter. What is happening?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.