Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iMac 5K run mavericks?

Can't use wifi, airplay, network sharing, video freezes.Apps can't open. Pretty much everything I bought the computer for, does not work. I purchased the 32 G ram upgrade and installed that a week later and still no improvement.

if it can't "run" mavericks, if I created a virtual machine on a partition and installed mavericks, might that work?

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 2:57 PM

11 replies

Nov 12, 2014 12:49 PM in response to k155

Thank you all very much for your valuable insight. I'm sure you all know much more about this Yosemite wifi situation than I do.

Perhaps you are aware that on this forum, there are 68 (or more now) pages of wifi drop descriptions that do affect wired connections, airplay, multiple naming, the need for constant restarts to move from wifi to wired, apps unable to launch, dropbox unable to sync, bluetooth conflicts and lots of other peculiarities. I guess these are all caused by our hardware that we have purchased from apple over the last few years and the apple stores will be very busy with all of us packing up our entire computer systems and dragging them into the stores to be examined by a technician.

Nov 12, 2014 5:21 PM in response to k155

Ziatron, I genuinely think apple will be forced to concede that there is a wifi problem that is affecting other wireless performance as well. If the 10.10.1 beta does work, and we get the update, we won't have to go dragging back to the stores. But the new customers may be wary; I've heard many of my colleagues swear off buying new products at this time especially after the issue with new iphones bricking from the iOS update.

Nov 12, 2014 5:51 PM in response to k155

If you need to run an older version of OS X on a newer system that shipped with a later version of OS X, then you can use a virtual machine program to install and run the software within a VM. Apple does not support running the OS on bare unsupported hardware, so this will be your only supported way of doing so. With this, you can run OS X as far back as Snow Leopard Server (OS X 10.6 Server) in a VM.

Nov 14, 2014 10:59 AM in response to Topher Kessler

Thank you.

I think you are the most helpful person in the apple community/world who knows more than almost any other user, person, programmer, technician, help desk, journalist...I can't think of enough categories in which you excel.

You honestly help people when you know there are other ways to do things than what has been suggested.

I read your online articles and I am grateful that you commented here. Over the last decade, information that came from you has helped me resolve problems that no apple genius or support personnel would admit.

thank you again.

Nov 14, 2014 3:23 PM in response to k155

Hi k155,

Unfortunately, running 10.9 in a virtual machine with 10.10 as the host is a violation of the 10.9 software license agreement. 10.9 is only licensed to be run in a virtual machine if the host OS is also 10.9. No other host OS is permitted.

10.6 Server is the only OS X version that the VM companies support that is licensed to be installed in a VM on a Mac running 10.10.

I recommend doing some more troubleshooting to determine what is going wrong with your 10.10 system. How did you set it up? Migrate from a different Mac?

Nov 14, 2014 6:33 PM in response to Király

I did not migrate anything. I put a few of my applications on the fusion drive but the wifi failures kept breaking the internet connection so that my creative cloud apps would not fully download or deploy, Dropbox is also affected by the wifi failures.

There is almost nothing on the machine but what came installed, yosemite and the i program suite. I have not used any of the i suite programs because they do not work with the size of the documents I need to use, and they need apple Dfonts to work, which do not print in a professional postscript environment. They are only made to function on a mac. Occasionally, if I know I will only give a presentation on a mac, I use keynote, but most clients want powerpoint.

the wifi failures are affecting all the other wifi devices in our studio. If I turn off the iMac5k, the other devices using wifi and bluetooth and airplay work as expected. When the iMac5k is on and wifi is enabled, everything starts dropping. I am keeping wifi disabled and wired browsing is still affected once in a while.

Because I work on material from many different sources, I use different versions of adobe software to preserve the integrity of the different files I am given. Because of what you have just told me, I will only purchase mac computers with multiple hard drives from now on. A separate hard drive with each of the systems made while the machine was manufactured is allowed, and that is what I will go back to doing.

The other reports of wifi issues from other users are widespread. I look forward to trying the upcoming 10.10.1 or other update before I take the machine anywhere.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.