Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Finder to copy to an external drive

I need to copy my home directory using Finder to an external drive that I save in the safe as a backup. Last month I spent 1 hour with Apple support to somehow achieve that and I wrote down the instructions. The support staff tried a variety of "approaches" that did not work so maybe I just didn't capture something correctly but I cannot repeat this very simple copy (in Windows, Ctrl-C from source, Ctrl-V to destination). Using Command instead of Ctrl on the Mac doesn't work w. Finder.

At this point I not only feel stupid but kind of desperate. There should be a simpler way to do this but I cannot figure out how Finder works or how to do it. Below are the instructions that I am trying to follow (as provided by the support staff), to copy my home directory called SF to a Seagate drive. Paste SF never shows up under Control/EDIT, as in step 4 under Destination.... I'd appreciate your help.

1. Open Finder

2. Click on “GO” on top menu bar

3. Select Computer

4. Click on Macintosh HD

5. Click on Users

6. Highlight the SF folder (do not click on it)

7. Press the Control key while clicking on “EDIT” on the top menu bar

8. Select COPY “SF

b. Prep destination

1. In Finder, create new folder on Seagate Backup for Backup MM/DD/YY with subfolder for iMac with subfolder for SF (use File/New Folder after highlighting the top level=Seagate Backup and then highlighting and clicking on the lower level under which a subfolder needs to be created)

2. Highlight the destination folder (SF on Seagate), do not click on it

3. Press the Control key while clicking on “EDIT” on the top menu bar

4. Select PASTE “SF"

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 5:34 PM

Simpler is this:

Attach and mount the Seagate ext HD

Select and double-click your HD Desktop icon

Double-click the Users folder

Select your home folder SF and drag it onto the Seagate Desktop icon.

27" i7 iMac (Mid 2011) refurb, OS X Yo (10.10), Mavs, ML & SL, G4 450 MP w/10.5 & 9.2.2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2014 5:34 PM in response to Suzy2014

Simpler is this:

Attach and mount the Seagate ext HD

Select and double-click your HD Desktop icon

Double-click the Users folder

Select your home folder SF and drag it onto the Seagate Desktop icon.

27" i7 iMac (Mid 2011) refurb, OS X Yo (10.10), Mavs, ML & SL, G4 450 MP w/10.5 & 9.2.2

Nov 6, 2014 7:39 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. It did work and it is a lot simpler.

I find Finder many times exasperating when just trying to copy or move or search. Once you need to hold down the Option key while doing something, other times not. Files move where I don't want them. There is no manual I can go to. If I try to find all documents or spreadsheets that have a specific word, it cannot do that (or I don't know how to do it). Is there any place that describes how to use Finder?

Nov 7, 2014 11:30 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks. I purchased two of the Missing Manuals when I bought the computer. The manuals are dated, probably things changed by the time they were published (e.g. keyboard shortcuts do not work as in the manual, etc.). None of the 2 manuals explains how to copy or move files from an internal to an external hard drive or within the same drive. None of them explains hot to use Finder (if it is meant to do that) to locate files that contain a specific word. Similarly, I could not find online help explaining the above. Maybe it is hidden someplace, like many of other "intuitive" features of the Mac. They might be familiar to those who have used Macs for many years but are not for new users. So I still do not know where to locate help for simple steps such as those mentioned above.

Nov 7, 2014 11:58 PM in response to Suzy2014

Spotlight is the app designed to find things. CMD+F brings up a window wherein you set up what you're searching for. The key to get beyond basic stuff is to use additional search criteria. Start with Use Spotlight in OS X Mavericks to find files and more - Apple Support and then peruse the results of a google searhc for spotlight search criteria. As for keyboard shortcuts, see OS X: Keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support. For moving files and folders, see OS X Mavericks: Drag and drop and a google search for moving files os x. Finally, WRT to the missing manuals, the Mavericks one cited above should be up to date. Do note that there's a new one for Yosemite in the works, due out early next year.

Using Finder to copy to an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.