Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get MacKeeper out of my Mac machine & others

ist: MacKeeper Helper got into my machine trash and obstructed me from emptying my trash, which is accumulating. Each time I empty my trash it says 'Mackeeper Helper is in use' Why did it want to get into my trash and how did it? I downloaded MacKeeper in April of 2013 and later never touched it. I did not understand what it was for and don't need it. I am a 80+ senior and very very hard of hearing who couldn't understand all this new technology. I just wanted a computer to communicate with the few friends that I have. I have other problems too.

2nd: I think it was in 2009 or 2010 (the time when the large desktop computer just came on sale), and added another year of warranty and also joined the class to learn about computer. When the warranty expired at end of 2012 Google popped up asking for the password of IMAP & SMTP. Nobody told me that I should remember that, and so got into trouble. I, having no one to help, went on the net to search for help about restoring my SMTP (outgoing mail) password. Mac Technical Support 1st it was under the name of USFIX TECHNICAL SERVICES (I paid $99.99. ("payment" <payment@usfix247.com>. When I called again it came under a new name of "Pairsys Inc" <pay@pairsys.com> telephone #855-786-4335 I paid $299.99 for 1 year. But in October the MacKeeper got into my trash and the SMTP password was refused again. I can only receive mail but cannot send out.

3rd. : Mail & MacKeeper wanted access to my keylink password, which I never knew I had one, and one day mistakenly clicked on the keylink (out of curiosity) to see what it contains and locked it..

Now I am in a mess. It all started with the SMTP password.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 7, 2014 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2014 11:01 AM

Do not install MacKeeper (and how to uninstall it if you have):

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6221

(Please note that references to the original developers, Zeobit, also now refer to Kromtech Alliance Corp, who acquired MacKeeper and PCKeeper from ZeoBit LLC in early 2013.)

7 replies

Nov 7, 2014 11:04 AM in response to yuzhen jin

2. You have been the victim of a scam. Those companies have nothing to do with Apple. You should stick to Apple Stores or authorised Apple repair centres.

3. Resetting or changing a password:

For Snow Leopard or earlier: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274

If it's running Mac OS X 10.6.8 or earlier, insert a Mac OS X install DVD, restart with the Option key held down, click on it, and use the Reset Password utility.

If it is the Keychain password that needs resetting:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1544

Nov 9, 2014 7:03 PM in response to yuzhen jin

Your instructions helped me and made me feel better, at least I am going forward. But I got stuck again. I got to the files and did as told, when it came to the part about the keylink password I stumbled again. Resetting the keylink password they asked for the administration password. I inserted the DVD of Mac OS X 10.6.3 (and found that I bought it in 2010) but did not dare start the disk for it requires a back up machine it has no 'restart' and I couldn't find the Reset Password Utility. If possible could you list it into step i, 2, etc. I know you have so many people asking for problem solving and have not much time to spare. On top of that my knowledge on using the computer is practically to nil. I tried hard to lean, what can I say.

How can I get MacKeeper out of my Mac machine & others

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.